another one for the clever boys.............

MM

I'm at work tonight I'll weigh my Xd card on one of the electronic balances in one the labs. I think they are accurate to 1000th of a gram ?

and as sad as i might sound, id be very interested in the results. :lol:

lay it on me :lol:

ok, here goes (A level physics at work)

an electron weighs 1.6x10*-19 kg. Electricity in it's purest form, when it's jumping between two points will have a mass. The principal cannot be applied in metal though, because as current flows, the electrons in one place are being replaced as they move. So the metal in the wire stays at the same mass.

Oh, and if I'm to be really anal, they don't have a "weight" per say, they have a "mass", as the weight of something is only the product of the force of gravity acting upon a mass :lol:

(needs to get out more) shot shot

to be really anal about the weighing of the sd card, then it needs to be done inside a hermetically sealed chamber cleared of every particle of dust etc. otherwise god knows what other microscopic items may be on it, which will then alter the results.

Edited by flash

I heard a debate on the radio on this topic, they actually concluded that a full memory card actually weighed less than an empty one - can't remember the details but something to do with the state of charge of the electrons. Not a difference you could actually weigh though, at least not with any commercially available scales!