browning x bolt

decroyffe

i have the uk spec s/s in 22-250, and dispite the companys claims the trigger is a great improvement on the a bolt i disagree, and think the trigger is totaly pants.

I've adjusted it myself to its lower setting of 3lbs, but its still like pulling a truck. Is anyone aware if a trigger unit can be bought for the the rifle, or is there any gun smiths here who know if the trigger can be adjusted further still.

Regards decroyffe.

Crikey, that's the first really negative "review" I have read about that rifle.

I have been reading both magazine reviews as well as numerous shooting forums on both sides of the Atlantic, as the X-Bolt is on my "possibles" list, and from what I have read I am happy to try one out.

Crikey, that's the first really negative "review" I have read about that rifle.

I have been reading both magazine reviews as well as numerous shooting forums on both sides of the Atlantic, as the X-Bolt is on my "possibles" list, and from what I have read I am happy to try one out.

I'll have read all the same reviews you might have prior the buying the rifle and thought the same. Its not my own opinion either because i've let two friends try the rifle, and we've all come to the same conclusion.

The stock and saftey features are fantastic however, the trigger is very poor at best, and the bolt takes a life time to draw back. Also the empty case ejects so sharp and quick your lead to belive you've pulled the bolt fully to the rear only to find the next round hasnt cycled and you've nothing in the chamber.

This could have been a personel thing again but it's happened three times to myself and both friends had the same experiance once each. The bolt seems to also come to a physical stop 3/4's the way back which is another reason why you think its fine to close the bolt again.

I'm sure like my buddy said i'll soon get used to this, but i'm not sure i want to. Today i've managed 1" groups at 100 yards, which is fine with factory ammo and off the shelf rifle, but i dont want that trigger on my mind when i'm looking charlie in the eye.

So if anyone can help with any info regarding if or not i can replace or adjust the trigger further i would be very greatful.

I do hear of people chopping a coil off the trigger spring to lighten them in various guns... I hasten to add I have no personal experience of doing that. Over on the airgunbbs site one of the guys did that to an A-Bolt as part of his fettling exercise and is delighted with it.

I have shot a A-Bolt and liked it, but it was only the sighting shots before an accompanied stalk (that proved fruitless) so not enough time to really properly evaluate.

When you say "pulling like a truck" is it just the stiffness/weight or is there something else you really hate about the feel of it?

My short-list has the X-Bolt, the Sako/Tikka variants and the Mercury 870 on it.

Assuming you bought new, could you raise this with the shop in case it is actually different to other examples?

Edited by john_r

decroyffe,

I have an A bolt 30.06 and agree as you say its bloody heavy on the trigger, I replaced the trigger spring for one allot lighter, it has made one hell of a difference for the better.

But i must add, shortly after it was taken to a gun smith, (a very good one i must add) to be threaded for a "jet-z" i mentioned about the trigger and what i had done to improve the weight of pull, his reply was ;-

"Oh! your a gun smith are you :blink: you've been "P"ing about with the bloody trigger.

Next time ask some one who knows what there doing, specially on the trigger, any way its ok" :good:

so yes it will make a differnce :yes:

Take it to a pro and have it adjusted the best and safest way they deem possible.

I have the 6.5 x 55 A bolt and it was heavy when new.

The self adjuster is ok but if you want it to be perfect it needs re engineering.

Cost to me was £30. well worth it.

Advice taken.

Called Mr Kershaw this morning, who will be able to do the work for me next weekend. Hopefully then, i'll be able to forge a great working relationship and tighten the groups up a little.

I think the trigger is just heavy, and nothing to do with any factory fault.

One of companys selling points for this rifle is the new, (feather trigger), and i think this is very misleading. Other than this and a small issue with the bolt, which may or may not be a wear in issue, the rifle's fine.

Once i get the rifle back and i've had a little time on the range, i 'll post a review on my findings. There be no fancy technical stuff because once i've set a rifle up, i just point and shoot which seems to work very well for me.

Thanks for the comments

Different rifle and different mechanism no doubt but... I bought a rifle that had had the spring chopped to lighten the trigger, unbeknown to either myself or the gunshop. The result was a rifle that would fire as soon as the safety was released, not good is an understatement. Thankfully an easy fix.

Well, i now have the rifle back from the gun smiths, and nothing is changed.

Our friends at browning decided that the (feather trigger), dont let the name fool ya, is so good, that they'd locktite all the screws in the trigger, so no one could adjust it.

The self adjustment works fine, as its dead on 3lb, just like it says on the tin. I'm not going to bother with any review because i'm just short of wrapping it around the first tree i see, and wont give any information that will benifit anyone here.

Not sure at this stage what i'm going to do, but i cant see me having it long.

There's no one but myself to blame, because i should have adjusted the trigger in the shop to test it at it's best before buying but lesson learnt.

There is a thread on the BBS site about this, are you a member? If not, bvasically someone flushed out the trigger mechanism with lighter fluid, in case it was over greased from the factory and it made the trigger better (for him).

There is a thread on the BBS site about this, are you a member? If not, bvasically someone flushed out the trigger mechanism with lighter fluid, in case it was over greased from the factory and it made the trigger better (for him).

I'll take a look at that. Havnt had the rifle out since, and didnt plan on bothering again with it, but its got to be worth a try.

Thank you

One other point John. What mod do you plan to use with the x bolt if you were to buy one.

If you were to use an over the barrel type and a bipod there could be a problem. When you fit a bipod, because of the shape of the stock, it dosent run parallel with the barrel like useual.

Instead, when folded the feet of the bipod are about one inch off the barrel, which could be a problem if using a T8 or simular. Thats using a 9-13 and i've tried both harris and deben.

Ive got a muzzel mounted jet z compact so it wouldnt be such a problem, but just thought i'd let you know.

Edited by decroyffe

I am very interested in the Third Eye Evo or Spartan mods, which are indeed reflex/over barrel. Therefore you raise a good point, I would have to figure out a way to deal with that if I went ahead with Browning.

I suppose I could just throw another 500 quid at this, and go with Sako... :yes:

adjusted my trigger ,nice light and crisp, give browning uk a call maybe you have a bad one

Did you adjust the trigger via the self adjusting, or get into the the trigger unit. Also do you know what weight the trigger is at now.

I bought the gun new from a friend who deals from home. He gets me all my rifles at trade or near as, so i dont like complaining to him. Instead i called the sportsman and had a talk with gary who owns the place and he was very helpful. This is where the rifle came from and gary said he'd deal with it for me.

After that i collected the rifle from steve kershaw who measured the pull at 3lbs, which it should be. I explained the process through the sportsman and then browning, which he thought would be pointless becasue in his opinion thats how browning have made the trigger, and thats how it should be, and thats all i'd get from browning.

Do you have any creep or over travel?:good:

Maybe its just me and my friend, and another friend for that matter. I might ask another opinion but i think i'll go out with it tomorow morning and se whats what.