owl scarer

jimdfish

i am shooting tomorrow and the field 3 down from me is getting hammered. i cannot shhot it however. i am thinking though of putting an eagle decoy in that field to scare the birds up. i have usec it to attract crows in the past but not for scaring. any thoughts?

jim

I am not sure about the owl, I don't know anyone that has tried that.

If you have a rotary doing nothing, then set that up with some carrier bags tied to the arms, that works.

Beg or borrow some fertilizer sacks and put them out on sticks, or better still would be some rope bangers, I never leave home without some.

Let us know how you get on. :angry:

You're not going to believe this but I swear it's true. An eagle owl was bought for bird scaring duties (sited on edge of airfield so in flocking to it it pulled the birds away from the runways) at an airfield in the north of Scotland. Bird control chappie puts it on perch and toddles off. Comes back later, owl on the ground. Puts owl back on perch and again leaves. On return, yep, bird on the ground. Ad infinitum. Eventually the vet diagnoses that the stupid thing suffered from vertigo and was therefore useless. One of the flying squadrons called it (funnily enough) Boo Boo, adopted it and put it on the ration strength as the squadron mascot.

Cheers