Eley Firsts - Any good?

I use them regularly for weekend shoots with pals. They are good for the price but I wouldn't use them in a competition. They are also the dirtiest cartridges I have ever used - you wouldn't believe the cloud of clag that comes out when you fire them (I use fibre wad).

B

I use them regularly for weekend shoots with pals. They are good for the price but I wouldn't use them in a competition. They are also the dirtiest cartridges I have ever used - you wouldn't believe the cloud of clag that comes out when you fire them (I use fibre wad).

B

That is because they are not a true fibre wad, the wad is compressed paper and it disintegrates.

I use them quite a bit and they are OK, I have never been bothered about how clean or dirty a cartridge is as long as it does the job.

I use the 21gm/7.5's or 24gm/8's, (plastic)whichever is cheaper, they hit what I point it at, as they say, but I think the 28gm for the really long shots. The 24gm seem to give a bit less recoil than the 21gm, don't know why though. I pay about £138/thousand for the 21gm, and about £145 for the 24gm. None of them seem particularly dirty compared with the gamebore steel or comp x's that I have shot before.