L200's

Reload

I'm liking the look of the L200's not the new shape tho. I've always wanted a 4x4, and have promised myself 1 when my old faithful dies. It wont be a post 56 plate as I would feel sick paying the road tax. :good:

I've been keeping my eye out for a while now, and found a few being offered stating they have had new engines fitted. Now at 80k that alarms me. I read somewhere it was down to inferior alloys used in the cylinder blocks, that was sorted by 06. And also remember something about big end bearings disintegrating.

Can anyone please enlighten me what the issues are with the L200's before I splash out? A few hints on what to look for at a viewing would be appreciated too.

Thanks in advance.

Just recently bought an 06 new shape animal and so far it's all

good - nice drive and good fuel economy, getting 29-30 mpgs

so far.

The older models can be thirsty but a few mates own them and

have had no issues that I know of.

The toyotas look nice and are worth a look, wouldn't go near Nissan

as I have had serious problems in the past.

Hi,

I've had my 07 plate Animal from new, it's now done 97k a lot of those miles have been done towing a large trailer.

The head gasket went @ 85k with three weeks left on the warranty :lol: it was off the road for 2wks??. Apart from that not missed a beat :good: .

Due for a new one very soon, would I get another?? Don't know do fancy a change. Would I reccomend the L200??? You bet!!!!!

Cheers....

i am a mitsy mechanic,and the l200 should be ok engine wise as long as it has not got the power upgrade fitted,the upgrade causes it to overheat and knacker the head and in some cases pistons,they are also prone to breaking leaf springs,but there is a recall for that fault and also the power upgrade which involves a ecu rewright,hope this helps :good:

Don't worry about the tax its a commercial and will be at commercial rates, personally I've got an old shape and had a fairly easy time with it till the turbo went the other day but thats been the only major problem and it has led a hardlife. I've the commercial spec one and I seem to be getting 30mpg when I change it it will be for a new shape one, the main plus points are better economy, and a 4x4 system you can use on the road. The older shape is fine when on the really sticky stuff but no good on tarmac

i am a mitsy mechanic,and the l200 should be ok engine wise as long as it has not got the power upgrade fitted,the upgrade causes it to overheat and knacker the head and in some cases pistons,they are also prone to breaking leaf springs,but there is a recall for that fault and also the power upgrade which involves a ecu rewright,hope this helps :no:

You mean the power upgrade that's standard on the Animal model :good:

no they have sorted the standard fit upgrade,its the ones that have had them fitted as an after thought

Thanks for the clarification - gave me mild palpatations :rolleyes:

Edit to say to OP, no issues with mine - '56 plate Animal. Abs love it. If I wanted to complain it would be that the Hilux is better finished and quieter but for the price difference it should be.

Edited by WGD

Only faults i know with them are the early ones suffer with glow plug relay faults that burn them out.

Other than that it appears common for anyone that tows trailers to jack knife them and dent the rear 1/4 panels lol.At the local gun club theres 4 all with dented in o/s rear 1/4 panels....

Guest stiv24

Currently on 14755 miles and I'm looking for £13k plus VAT. Mitsubishi Bristol have offered to buy it back for £12,900 + VAT and the extra £100 I have added is for a full valet.