Yesterdays bucks and fox.

sako751sg

post-18885-1279976155.jpg post-18885-1279976164.jpg

post-18885-1279976173.jpg post-18885-1279976180.jpg

post-18885-1279976190.jpg post-18885-1279976199.jpg

Went out yesterday about 5ish hoping for a wee stag stag for the freezer from a bit of ground that holds some red and plenty of roe.We only go there half a dozen times a year max and if lucky get a couple of stags but plenty of roe.Superb evening weather ways and the place was alive with roe,seeing 6 bucks all within 500 yards 5 of which were in various stages of rut.Decided to leave them be early on to see if the red would come down as the grass was battered with roads from them.The closest pair were within 200 yards and we watched them running rings,and another pair were about another 200 yards further lying in some rough ground.Another buck walked about a half mile and headed straight for this second pair,and started chasing the doe.Her buck stood up and ran away leaving them to it,but the new buck decided to go after him and they started having a tear up on the side of the hill.I filmed about 5 mins but it carried on much longer with the incomer having the much better of it.He looked a decent enough head and very dark antlers but his face was very white showing a very old lad.I decided to take the 200 yard buck(180) and then try and get up to the 2 fighting one.The shot was bang on and after moving on 2 does inbetween us and the bucks,we closed to less than 100 yards and got a lean from a post.On the shot he ran approx 20 yards and collapsed.A very nice dark mature 8 pointer with a surprisingly nice head for the area which is very high up and he weighed 15.5kg and probably going back.After gralloching we went to the first shot buck and found he was a huge buck for there,weighing in at over 19kg and absolutely caked in fat with kidneys totally hidden.After a drag of about 500 yards we got back to the jeep and had a scoff before we planned to have a walked lamp for charlie.Sitting in the jeep at dark,eyes were lamped at approx 400 yards,and on the squeak they closed to within 60 yards in no time,and the brother nailed her with his crappy cheapo Tikka T3 :lol: .On retreiving she was a very thin and mangy looking vixen which was better getting the bullet.

After sitting another half hour eyes lit up not very far away and it was a red,so the walk was abandoned hoping they stayed about till daylight so we dossed in the jeep and set the alarm for 3.30.On rising we left Mac snoring and walked 200 from the motor to where the big lads usually come out,but had only sat about an hour when we headed back to the jeep for a heat as nothing was showing except a few pairs of roe.We had been sitting for a half hour and the sun had just started appearing when the the reds did too.Ten had came onto my ground and we made out two wee staggies.Cutting the story short,the stalk couldnt be made,as the wind was firling aboot and they got a whiff of us when we has 100 yards to get a chap.No worries as they will keep for the next time.All in all an excellent all nighter and even without the stag seeing all that activity makes it superb.A few vids and pics from the outing too.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Craching write up and photos as always mate! unfortunately I can't get the links to work for the videos. That young lad of yours is getting one incredible upbringing, I wish I could have had prime time like that with my father, form what I have seen on a few of your videos he is a real credit to you!

Looks like a great evening,that's some good camera work on the buck you shot,what model is your brothers tikka that makes it so bad?

Great evening,the company a bit shaky,the camera work even shakier and the Tikka an embarrassment.Lucky shot on the fox too OLD chap.Nah,good night and should do it more often.

Craching write up and photos as always mate! unfortunately I can't get the links to work for the videos. That young lad of yours is getting one incredible upbringing, I wish I could have had prime time like that with my father, form what I have seen on a few of your videos he is a real credit to you!

Far too kind once again Frenchie.Ive been on holiday the last fortnight and he has been my twin.Went fishing on Monday from 4 am untill 1pm and he fished non stop for the whole time and caught a wee finnock which he was delighted with.On Thursday he fished from 10am untill 10pm and again didnt stop and caught the grand total of diddly squat,but he was as keen at night as the morning.Great to involve him in the outdoor stuff and does them no harm.