rape stubble ploughed over, is it worth setting up ?

The only field of rape that i can shoot on have been harvested four days ago, however due to work comitment including this weekend i could not go till tomorrow.

I went to have a look at around six this evening and to my horror it has been ploughed over, fair enough it is his field after all. There was a few about landing all over the place maybe about 25/35. Is it worth setting up or shall i write it off and wait for the drilling?

I had a few goodish bags during the winter on this field as it is right under a flight line. :good:

Regards

are you sure its ploughed not disced :good:

I don't know what disced means, what i mean by ploghed over is that it is in big lumps. Been there this afternoon to have a look round and there are plenty of pigeons feeding, lifted them off, hid in the hedge and half an hour later they started to return to same spot so will have a go tomorrow.

regards

I don't know what disced means, what i mean by ploghed over is that it is in big lumps. Been there this afternoon to have a look round and there are plenty of pigeons feeding, lifted them off, hid in the hedge and half an hour later they started to return to same spot so will have a go tomorrow.

regards

Is the field completly earth or are there lots of stubble still sticking up?

A lot of guys down south just Minimum till their ground rather than plough which just means they work the top few inches rather than bringing up wet nasty earth. If it's just minimum tilled then there will still be feeding on the top for them. I know when we harvest our stuff we disc it to encourage the lost rape to germinate so that when we plough it it kills it off.

I'd agree with the other folk too, if there are birds on it that late i'd give it a bash.

I managed to go to the field yesterday afernoon, got there at about 2 pm. about 50 odd feeding on it. I set up and didn't fire my first shot till 4.30 pm. I am very patient i suppose. Ended up with 12 woodpigeons, 5 feral pigeon and 3 rooks and plenty of fresh air. Took my last shot at around 7 pm. Not a red letter day, but still enjoyed it.

ONE DAY maybe one day i will get a red letter day, i must keep dreaming. :rolleyes:

Regards to all and thanks for your replies.

Malteser.

• 4 weeks later...
I managed to go to the field yesterday afernoon, got there at about 2 pm. about 50 odd feeding on it. I set up and didn't fire my first shot till 4.30 pm. I am very patient i suppose. Ended up with 12 woodpigeons, 5 feral pigeon and 3 rooks and plenty of fresh air. Took my last shot at around 7 pm. Not a red letter day, but still enjoyed it.

ONE DAY maybe one day i will get a red letter day, i must keep dreaming. :good:

Regards to all and thanks for your replies.

Malteser.

Every day you can get out in the countryside is a red letter day Malteser. It doesnt matter one jot if you shoot 2 or 200 birds. Enjoy the moment if we all shot 100 birds everytme we went out the Pigeon would be off the General list within 5 years !

Every day you can get out in the countryside is a red letter day Malteser. It doesnt matter one jot if you shoot 2 or 200 birds. Enjoy the moment if we all shot 100 birds everytme we went out the Pigeon would be off the General list within 5 years !

Thanks for your encouragement fisherman mike. I must admit that i do enjoy being out in the countryside alot and at the end of the day i always tend to enjoy myself and learn something new things about the way wood pigeons react to decoying.

And you are spot on in saying that if all of us had redletter days there won't be any pigeons left to shoot. I'm off work tomorrow so going out on a field of wheat stubble that was cut last week and been watching it all this time waiting for a day off. One way or another i will still enjoy myself unless it rains ofcourse.

Regards

Maltese falcon.