Siting a Gun Cabinet

Norrie

Hiya, Question on behalf of my mate...

He's applying for his Shotgun, and FAC certs..not been told of a vist yet..and has just bought second hand , a cracking made to measure cabinet...8 gun, felt lined, ammo store in the top part...and just over 2ft 6in wide...NOW, its made of 1/4 in steel plate, two double turn locks etc etc....anti jemmy etc...It was built for and used till recently by a game keeper for his guns on an estate....It weighs a ton, not literally, but it took four of us to get it into the van to get it to his house today.......Now, the question, he has a brick built garage, about 5 feet from his back door....would he be allowed to site the cabinet there...he's happy to install security....or have we got to bust our b***s getting it up the stairs and into a cupboard...

I'm going to call the FEO in the morning ,but thought I'd post here for any ideas and thoughts.

Thanks guys..:hmm:

Edited by Norrie

Hiya, Question on behalf of my mate...

He's applying for his Shotgun, and FAC certs..not been told of a vist yet..and has just bought second hand , a cracking made to measure cabinet...8 gun, felt lined, ammo store in the top part...and just over 2ft 6in wide...NOW, its made of 1/4 in steel plate, two double turn locks etc etc....anti jemmy etc...It was built for and used till recently by a game keeper for his guns on an estate....It weighs a ton, not literally, but it took four of us to get it into the van to get it to his house today.......Now, the question, he has a brick built garage, about 5 feet from his back door....would he be allowed to site the cabinet there...he's happy to install security....or have we got to bust our b***s getting it up the stairs and into a cupboard...

I'm going to call the FEO in the morning ,but thought I'd post here for any ideas and thoughts.

Thanks guys..:hmm:

It should go inside the house, and also it's good for your guns to be kept at a steady temp wood does not like to much change in temp,have heard of stocks splitting when people have put central heating in,even with dehumid pads in cabinet still would get damp if in a garage

:hmm: Ive a mate whos got his in the garage he lives in a flat roof bungalow

no loft so was either that or an airing cupboard with plaster board walls his

passed, and I know a guy who lived in a static caravan (mobile home)

and his was in the bathroom fixed to a cardboard wall, so best to ring the fao

and ask. :oops:

And theres a guy in darlington with stacks in a detatched garage

hes a licensed dealer. :hmm:

Bet i doesn't have a standard up and open door though! garage isn't normally recommended but then if its a highly secured garage no reason not too as its as secure as a house if not more so due to limited access points.

Bet i doesn't have a standard up and open door though! garage isn't normally recommended but then if its a highly secured garage no reason not too as its as secure as a house if not more so due to limited access points.

Its a roller shutter and hes obviously got the correct security,

but it is a garage, and our local RFD has guns in a garage

behind the shop on cable racking so Its up to whoever checks

if this cabinets that heavy and bolted in with extra security on

I wouldnt have thought hed have a problem.

I bet he has got a fully maintained linked alarm system double steel plated doors ,bars to external windows with steel shutters ,maybe dehumidified when the police come to your property as a licence holder their eyes never stop they are looking at your security an risk of entry,siteing is to be secured anchor either floor or wall or both and out of site of a window but they can give you advice on this

I talked with my FEO today on another matter, and mentioned this to him...NO WAY will he allow it to be sited in a garage, it's got to be in the house

So this must lead us to believe that each regional Firearms Licensing Department or the FEO can make the decision as to whether ya can site ya cabinet in a garage or not ??? ..........no set regulations that cover the whole country then? :good:

am not doubting anyone ere either......just stating the obvious

btw mi m8, who as his in his garage, rang em first to ask if it would be ok.........the reply was, as long as the garage was secure, they would be happy................................and they were ???

Phil

Edited by philfishers2

One thing to consider - if it's that big and heavy and you are fitting it ion an upstairs room, you need to check the load-bearing capacity of the floor you are placing it on and make sure you have some really hefty rawlbolts/etc to fit into the wall, to help support the weight.