Pigeon shooting help

alibla

Hi, just got back from a short pigeon decoying session and a box of shells later only one rabbit and nil pigeons. Non of them seemed to want to land any where near my decoy's !!!!!!! So as they flew overhead I took some shots and clearly missed them all. What am I doing wrong ?

Recently had a couple of clay lessons and was hitting approx 80%

I have a small pigeon shoot and as usual the farmer only wants me to shoot the land on my own. Does anyone fancy showing me where I am going wrong. Should I be concentrating on the decoy's and be more patient.

Cheers for any incoming help.

Alan

Hi, just got back from a short pigeon decoying session and a box of shells later only one rabbit and nil pigeons. Non of them seemed to want to land any where near my decoy's !!!!!!! So as they flew overhead I took some shots and clearly missed them all. What am I doing wrong ?

I have a small pigeon shoot and as usual the farmer only wants me to shoot the land on my own. Does anyone fancy showing me where I am going wrong. Should I be concentrating on the decoy's and be more patient.

Alan

hitting clays when you know where they are coming from and are not worried about being shot is a million miles away from pigeon shooting.patterns flight lines and different times of the day weather etc etc etc all count when pigeon shooting best thing mate get some pigeon shootin dvd and watch them

Alan

Pigeons are a HUGE difference from Clays :good:

They are spontanious and you can't guarantee their flight path is not going to deviate and speeds change etc it's a far cry from Clay pigeon shooting where the speed and direction is constant!

Remember to follow through with your shot after you squeeze the trigger don't stop swinging the gun!

A crude method I was told (which seems to work) is when lining up the shot pass the barrels over the bird from the back and (Bum belly beak BANG)

You COULD be out of range?

What shot size are you using?

Your cheek COULD be rolling to far over the comb also???

Alan

The biggest single fault with newbies is that they put their decoys where they think the pigeons should be rather than where the pigeons want to be.

Get the deeks right and pigeons will land in the pattern. If they fly overhead without reacting then you are probably in the wrong place. If they look like they are coming in then fly away erratically your decoys are not right or your concealment needs attention. Try moving wellout of the way and if the come in it's your concealment, if they continue to jink away at the last minute then you need to re-set your deeks.

it could be that there is a flightline over the field but the birds arent actually feeding there, you want to find a field where birds are feeding, push them off ( or not) and then sit at the edge and just observe where the pigeons are flighting to like one corner of a field or are they making for a wood? A field might have one main flightline or several, try and set your decoys under these so you can attract birds off of their flightline and into your decoys. Keep at them dont get disheartened, we all started somewhere :good:

Alan

how are you getting on?are things getting better?, have you cracked it?

I'm still a newbie to the pigeon shooting but i've been through a patch recently where i could'nt hit anything, literaly.

Besides your possible decoy problems ( i'm in no position to advise you on that), you could possibly be thinking about your shot too much with the ones that you've still got a chance with, that was my problem. If so, perhaps have a few weeks off (I had 5 off) and go back over with a clear mind, whilst your off the pigeons do a bit of clay shooting. Worked a treat for me.

Good luck.

Craig

Alan

How are you getting on?

have you managed to overcome your problems?

Bakerboy

if your hitting clays you will have a favourite i.e left to right right to left e.c.t get in a position were the bird's will come from i.e right to left .

watch them entering or going over the field and get in a postion to the left or to the right . your half way there .

place a single pigeon on the ground with the wings' open as if it's landing or a rod through the bird suspended above the ground with wing's broken .don't try to hard with pattern's at the minute 1 or 2 bird's placed in the right place work's well

you can allway's add to it or put out a few bird's a time , not 100% that you'll shoot bird's as it's a sceince trying to understand them / but it might help a bit

..remember you need pigeon's to be feeding on the field or under a flight line

Edited by soontjen