Sickly Rabbit?

Doc Holliday

Earlier today I was driving down a country lane and. coming round a bend, I saw what looked like a fairly large rabbit laying at the side of the road, just off the hedgeline. I parked up a little further on and walked back as I wanted to see if it was a rabbit or a hare (don't get many down here).

As it turns out it was a rabbit. I nudged it with my foot to see how fresh or stiff it was and was surpirsed when it opened it eyes and somewhat weakly thrashed about on the floor on its side. Thinking it had been hit by a vehicle I picked it up by its hind legs to do the decent thing with it and put it out of it's misery. It thrashed about a bit more and have to confess I dropped it. I picked it up round the middle to see if it was injured. Nothing obvious. I felt it's legs, back & front and all seemed ok there. No breaks that I can say I felt or it responded to. Eyes were clear & bright, no sign of mixy or any infection on that front. There was a rip down one of its ears from the top to over half way down but other than that it seemed to be in good condition. Had a quick look at its teeth, they seemed ok and in fact would have thought it was this years early brood (or last years at latest). It's breathing was very shallow & fairly quick. It's belly looked somewhat empty, like it hadn't eaten in a while but other than that everythin else seemed ok.

Anyway, I lay it back down for a bit and watched as it's eyes closed. I picked it up and swiftly dispatched it. Like to think it went quick but I'm puzzled as to what this rabbit could have been suffering from. As I say, no marks on its coat to indicate any injuries so wondered if you guys may have a possible explaination.

Regards,

Doc.

Edited by Doc Holliday

Earlier today I was driving down a country lane and. coming round a bend, I saw what looked like a fairly large rabbit laying at the side of the road, just off the hedgeline. I parked up a little further on and walked back as I wanted to see if it was a rabbit or a hare (don't get many down here).

As it turns out it was a rabbit. I nudged it with my foot to see how fresh or stiff it was and was surpirsed when it opened it eyes and somewhat weakly thrashed about on the floor on its side. Thinking it had been hit by a vehicle I picked it up by its hind legs to do the decent thing with it and put it out of it's misery. It thrashed about a bit more and have to confess I dropped it. I picked it up round the middle to see if it was injured. Nothing obvious. I felt it's legs, back & front and all seemed ok there. No breaks that I can say I felt or it responded to. Eyes were clear & bright, no sign of mixy or any infection on that front. There was a rip down one of its ears from the top to over half way down but other than that it seemed to be in good condition. Had a quick look at its teeth, they seemed ok and in fact would have thought it was this years early brood (or last years at latest). It's breathing was very shallow & fairly quick. It's belly looked somewhat empty, like it hadn't eaten in a while but other than that everythin else seemed ok.

Anyway, I lay it back down for a bit and watched as it's eyes closed. I picked it up and swiftly dispatched it. Like to think it went quick but I'm puzzled as to what this rabbit could have been suffering from. As I say, no marks on its coat to indicate any injuries so wondered if you guys may have a possible explaination.

Regards,

Doc.

Skin the rabbit and have a look for bruising or small puncture marks made by a pellet or something of that nature around the lung area

Alternatively, lay it just behind the rear wheel of your car and reverse over it, that way you can be sure it was run over and hey presto - mystery solved!

My Hercule Poirot skills never fail me...

:good::angry: :( :lol: