Insurance

kiddy1

My understanding is that the vehicle would be SORN if it wasnt being used on public roads, however to access some of the land we have to use the public road, although most is accessible from the private land. As for insurance, again that would only be neccesary if driving on public roads?

So maybe we could get away with not paying for either tax, or insurance. With it being SORN, it wont need mot'd unless it was going to be put back on the road.

Somebody correct me if im wrong plz, but thats my understanding.

or get the tax class changed to agri, tax is nill, no mot but must be in a safe condition, can be used on red diesel and the farmer will most likely be happy to included it on his group policy, plus you can drive x distance on the highway, ideal for lamping :angry:

Edited by Paul223

Limited use vehicles

You can tax your vehicle in the ‘limited use’ tax class if it’s used solely for purposes relating to agriculture, horticulture or forestry and:

•it’s used on public roads only in passing between different areas of land occupied by you

•the distance it travels on public roads in passing between any two such areas does not exceed 1.5 kilometres

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Ownin...*****/DG_069649

Thanks for the reply paul - I was close then... But rather than declare it SORN I think if and when a vehicle comes along I will be putting in limited use tax. Oil and filter changes should be easy enough to do on a 4x4.

On the other hand, I do plan on getting back out in the beating line this year and would like to be able to take a 4x4 with me because its a small syndicate, who do you find the best and cheapest insurer is for pickups/4x4's?

Thanks for the reply paul - I was close then... But rather than declare it SORN I think if and when a vehicle comes along I will be putting in limited use tax. Oil and filter changes should be easy enough to do on a 4x4.

Having seen the (not) road worthy state of some farmers limited use vehicles i'd sugest you get a mechanic friend to have a look round it now and then, only really need to worry and brakes, steering and that the lights works

On the other hand, I do plan on getting back out in the beating line this year and would like to be able to take a 4x4 with me because its a small syndicate, who do you find the best and cheapest insurer is for pickups/4x4's?

Adrian Flux is the best for 4x4 insurance.

If you sorn it dont get caught even crossing a public road

as we found out with a quad,a mate had to stop for a police 4x4

to get past him when he crossed between two fields about 30 metres

travelling distance on the road between the field gates, 240 quid fine

and six points Sorned vehicle/ no tax/ no insurance/ no mot etc.

I was following him over on mine but stayed to close the gates

in the field when he got pulled.the copper said he could have

ordered his quad took away and crushed,so very lucky. ???