Urgent Advice on Stock Worrying.

Frenchieboy

I have just been contacted by a client who keeps Andalusian horses and foals. She is rather worried as a neighbour/friend has seen a "lurcher type dog" (Please note that this is the description of the dog as given to me and is not meant to be a "slur" on lurchers or their owners in general) chasing and trying to catch her foals on two seperate occasions. One of the foals has shown signs of swolen fetlocks which I am led to believe can be caused by them running hard, as if by being chased by a dog!

On one of these occasions when the dog was seen to be chasing a foal the owner of the dog was spotted in the distance through binoculars, but when he realised that he was being watched all he did was to (In the witnesses words) puff his chest out as if to say "If you want to say anything try it"! With this in mind the last thing that the owner of the foals wants to do is to have the dog shot because of the possible reprocussions to her stock (Which she is not able to watch over night and day) but she does feel that she has a right to protect her livestock. Should she put a notice on the gate to the fields where the stock is kept as a warning to any irresponsible dog owners and if so what sort of wording should the notice have on it?

Your help and advice will be grately appreciated!