Ford Maverick ( The mk II Version )

Alex C

Being relatively new to shooting i am now in the market for a 4X4. I have been looking at some of the options and the one that keeps croping up is the 2nd generation Maverick 3 litre.

I can pick up a 2003 one with 60K ish miles for around the 3 K mark, which is pretty good value

What i dont know is what these are like to live with, running costs, reliability etc. I have done a bit of research and it says that although they never really took off in this country they are a pretty rugged and reliable.

Any thoughts are appreciated

Cheers

I was close to getting one of these recently. All good, car like road manners but with the obvious extra ground clearance and grip. Comfy, reliable but the 3 litre is thirsty - I was told low 20's average.

I was going for the 2 litre Mazda equivalent, the Tribute. Even more reliable but naff looks.

Have you seen http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/ford/maverick-ii-2001/ and http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/mazda/tribute-2001/

We had a 2.4 petrol swb that I drove as my first car before we scrapped it for a new motor. It was OK, the swb obviously resulted in a 'lively' back end in the wet, and the big lump did drink petrol at quite a rate!

It ran fine upto 70k miles but I recall a problem with the break cylinders around the 50k mark, but once they were sorted there was no other problems until the day it met the crusher.

Oh and if you want to cruise at 80+ ours did wobble a little bit!

03 may be a bit hefty on tax if it's not a regular use motor, I still think these are ideal http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/adv...244er?logcode=p twin sun roofs which come out and clip into the rear door with the seats in the rear folded you can stand up through the rough as long as you dont have a huge gut, not serious off road machines but with decent tyres and a careful driving will cross much more serious terrain than 2wd car (driven them over soft sand with a boat many times no issue and my dad pulled an Omega off the beach which was up to the axle in sand.....). My dad has had his for 5 years i think and apart from an MOT and service all its needed is a new fuel line as the old one cracked and dripped a bit. the 2.0L its gutsy more like driving a diesel, and it will do 70 happily without breaking your spine....

We had a 2.4 petrol swb that I drove as my first car before we scrapped it for a new motor. It was OK, the swb obviously resulted in a 'lively' back end in the wet, and the big lump did drink petrol at quite a rate!

It ran fine upto 70k miles but I recall a problem with the break cylinders around the 50k mark, but once they were sorted there was no other problems until the day it met the crusher.

Oh and if you want to cruise at 80+ ours did wobble a little bit!

I think the OP is asking about the later Maverick, not the Maverick/Terrano clone.