Prices for Pigeons and Bunnies

ellebarto

From BASC ...

BASC link

Clearly if it's occasional supply as an individual then the usual rules applying to commercial suppliers DO NOT apply.

Steve

you can supply small quantites in the fur or in feather this means that they are still in tact & have not been prepared in any way which includes gutting!

so if you gut a rabbit as soon as you kill it you can not lawfully sell it to anybody even as an indvidual unless you are registered to do so & if you are registered to sell it whilst gutting the animal you must be wearing food hygine gloves!

i have throughly looked into this matter as i have been approached by a couple of local pubs that want to put locally caught rabbit & game on their menu for me it is too much hassle at this moment in time but it is something i might do in the future if i have enough customer demand

Edited by big yz dave

so if you gut a rabbit as soon as you kill it you can not lawfully sell it to anybody even as an indvidual unless you are registered to do so ...

Please show us where the legislation states that - because I totally disagree and cannot find any such rule. Just stating you've looked into this isn't that convincing!

Please show us where the legislation states that - because I totally disagree and cannot find any such rule. Just stating you've looked into this isn't that convincing!

you will find it in your own link you posted above in the first box on the flow chart it says;

1. Do you shoot wild game for your own

private consumption or very occasionally

supply it in fur or in feather for private

consumption?

what i think you are struggling to understand is the in the fur part

in fur or in feather means intact which means if you gut the animal it is no longer intact so it is no longer classed as in the fur as it has been through a preperation i.e. gutting

i sell my rabbits to a game dealer he buys them from me in the fur which means in tact all the game dealer wants me to do is empty the rabbits bladder by running my thumb over it

the link you have posted should really go into more detail as to what in the fur means it is telling you everything else quite throughly but dosent go into detail as to what in the fur or in the feather means

i`m not trying to convince you i am just stating facts if you do not want to believe me then dont but please remember that we live in a health & safety nanny state & that if you sell a rabbit with it`s jacket on guts out to joe bloggs & it gives him food poising you can be held liable for selling him prepared meat, where if you sell him it in the fur you have not prepared it so you are not liable this is the law of the land & has been since january 2007 & was brought in by the food standards agency (fsa) an ignorance of it is not an excuse!

i know that leaving the guts in a rabbit taints the meat the rabbits i shoot or ferret for my own consumption normaly the 3/4 grown ones i gut straight away as thats the way i like it but i can not legally sell them to the game dealer or anybody else as they have been prepared!

i hope this helps you understand what in fur is

to help you under stand more as to what the food standards agency demands of people who sell wild game why not go on a course such as a lantra Wild Game Meat Hygiene training and assessment course or why not attend a bsac roadshow & ask some of the experts that are on hand there to explain it to you!

what i think you are struggling to understand is the in the fur part

in fur or in feather means intact which means if you gut the animal it is no longer intact so it is no longer classed as in the fur as it has been through a preperation i.e. gutting

I don't think I'm struggling to understand that statement atall! "In the fur" means just that, in my opinion. I don't agree with your definition and can't find any such definition any relevant legislation.

I have attended several preperation and hygiene courses - and the advice offered on those was to always pee and paunch rabbits. Anything more than that would be considered preparation that woudl cause difficulties. But always to pee and paunch rabbits.

I will check with authorities on Monday.

Interesting!

I don't think I'm struggling to understand that statement atall! "In the fur" means just that, in my opinion. I don't agree with your definition and can't find any such definition any relevant legislation.

I have attended several preperation and hygiene courses - and the advice offered on those was to always pee and paunch rabbits. Anything more than that would be considered preparation that woudl cause difficulties. But always to pee and paunch rabbits.

I will check with authorities on Monday.

Interesting!

Thats also odd as the BASC hygiene course I attended stated that rabbits had to go to the dealer or butcher with guts .

As its the the dealer/butcher job to inspect the guts for healthness not the hunter unlike large game eg deer which it then reverts to the trained hunter.

Regards OTH

Thats also odd as the BASC hygiene course I attended stated that rabbits had to go to the dealer or butcher with guts .

As its the the dealer/butcher job to inspect the guts for healthness not the hunter unlike large game eg deer which it then reverts to the trained hunter.

Regards OTH

thats what i have been taught on the courses i have attended!! and what the local council health department have told me when i have enquired as to how to go about selling rabbits & game to local pubs!!

the problem might be that shoughton has not been on a coures since before jan 2007 when the law changed the fsa brought the legistlation in to force within 6 months of creating it in jun 2006 which caused havoc within the training bodies such as lantra trying to train tens of thousands of people in just 6 months, it was not very well publicised in the shooting press which dosent help matters!

thats what i have been taught on the courses i have attended!! and what the local council health department have told me when i have enquired as to how to go about selling rabbits & game to local pubs!!

the problem might be that shoughton has not been on a coures since before jan 2007 when the law changed the fsa brought the legistlation in to force within 6 months of creating it in jun 2006 which caused havoc within the training bodies such as lantra trying to train tens of thousands of people in just 6 months, it was not very well publicised in the shooting press which dosent help matters!

Guys,

Yep - the courses I did were in late 2005.

I have asked a few authorities on the subject and they confirm as you state - that officially rabbits should be guts in. That is the rule if examined closely. They did however also state it is commonly over looked where trust exists between buyers and sellers.

In any case - I stand corrected and have learned something - again!

Steve