Ford Maverick?

Colster

I'm toying with the idea of ditching my beloved Alfa (think it's going to hurt me come MOT time) and getting a lamping wagon to have as a day to day run-about too. A mate of a mate has a Ford Maverick for sale.

Apparently a good runner and he's after £550 for it, ideal as I don't want to spend a fortune. Any particular things to look out for?

How long is a piece of string .... ???

Unfortunately your asking a question about a possible 16-17 year old vehicle, however from my ancient memory :hmm:

Two engines; 2.4 petrol and 2.7 diesel, avoid the petrol as fuel consumption is very poor, the diesel isn't that much better.

Again from memory, two or three factory recall's for brakes about 1995/6 and again a few years later.

Numerous suspension problems, the odd transmission problem if it's been towing, electric problems and the few diesel engine faults. All basic vehicle faults but they do add up ....

Not great off road and not great on road .... your typical 4 x 4 but it does have a good compromise between the two.

3 door or 5 door ?? The 5 door gives a smoother ride for every day use.

Ford dropped the vehicle about 1999/ 2000 after approx, 6 years of poor sales however Nissan kept their production going until 2007 with the 2.7lt. and 3lt. diesel so parts shouldn't be a problem.

For £500 it may be worth a punt, are you any good with the spanners ?? :yes::hmm:

To give a bit more back ground...

It's an N reg, diesel, manual, 3door, done 106,000, taxed until Dec 10 and MOT until July 11 owned by a mechanic (never sure whether that's a good thing...lol), I live in Norfolk so it's not extreme off-roading but would be used as a lamping vehicle round farms which mostly are in country-side stewardship so have fairly good tracks all round.

Lamping is my favourite bit of shooting but I don't like to be dependant on someone else for anything really and currently my lamping is always in a mate's Defender so if he can't go - neither can I.

The Alfa is probably worth about £1500 currently and is likely to cost me around £500 to get through the MOT so it seems sensible to get rid as it won't be worth £2000 with an MOT on it. So buy the 4x4 for £500, get £1500ish for the Alfa and that's my .243 paid for ???

As long as it doesn't drop it's gearbox on the floor sometime in the next 6 months or so, I shouldn't really lose out.

Read a few reviews on the Mav/Terrano and nothing too horrible comes up, yes it's no Landrover but I don't really need it to be.