Scopes

red_stag88

You get what you pay for. If your rifle is a spring gun, the cheap Chinese scopes get shaken to bits with the recoil. I wouldn't get anything less than £50 as the chances are it is ****. Second hand scopes often tend to be knackered, so you would need to try it first.

Nikko Sterling / Simmons / BSA are OK. They are, of course, all made in China as well, but are of a higher quality.

I got a Russian Zenit scope which is superior to the chinese ones, but not easy to come by.

There's some good Russian scopes on www.sovietbazaar.com

i think hawke take some beating,i've got a 6x42 mil dot on the venom and for 60 quid its the bees knees and i've had allsorts in the past,i'm even thinking about a higher spec one for the rimmy seeing as yankey doodle dandy has ripped me off over the leupold ;):) i feel a rant coming on,i think i need one of my little blue pills and a lie down in a darkened room :unsure:

I was thinking of buying a new scope, it needs to be reletively cheap and reliable.

I have always been told to spend money on a quality scope rather than an expensive rifle, on the grounds that any weapon is more accurate than the user anyway.

Having said that, the best group I have ever shot with my SSG .308 (seven keyholed shots at 200 yrds) was with a scope that cost just £12.00. The scope was a 3-9 x 40 'Hunter'. Lord only knows who made them.

Admittedly, the 180 grn bullets must have suited the barrel and I don't use them much, but I have never done as well since putting an 8 x 56 Schmitt and Bender on the same rifle.

I have just looked on the Deben site at the Nite-Eye. It looks quite intesting, for £79.95 you get a 3-10x44 scope with a fully illuminated reticle (30/30). It says it is good for low light, i as braindead welll knows am a before crack of dawn back after sundown person. Would you recommend it or do i save my cash? I like the zoom, it woould be usefull for shooting the ever moving squrrle on low power and high power for head shooting rabbits and birds.

I've got a hunter 4x32 scope on a bsa...i havent got a clue who made them either ;) .Red stagg i've neve tried/looked through any of thier illuminated reticule stuff but if it is the same quality as the rest of the range you could do alot worse,loads of shops stock debin/hawke kit so i would have a look through one or two first,i've got the new debin catilogue here and its got a very good range of scopes in it,i think you can order them through the website

They are usually advertised as "spring rated"if they are ok for spring guns,give them a ring or email them to make sure,if it isnt it wont last long and you will have no end of problems with it,i know that some nikko scopes are and some arnt,or atleast that was the position a while ago

• 4 weeks later...