Fox Calibre

ellebarto

Hmr is a perfectly decent occasional fox tool. Shoot the damn thing in the head, they don't get up again, same with 22LR. They're underpowered for an everyday fox tool as you want engine room shots and longer ranges, but for the odd fox they're fine. Anyone who says otherwise can't shoot I'm afraid - I've shot enough foxes humanely with a rimfire that it's not a fluke!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the rimfire is down for vermin and no other rifles are down, then the police have to prove fox isn't vermin in order to prosecute. Since they cannot do this, because vermin is not defined in firearms law, then they cannot prosecute.

If the ticket says any other legal quarry, then you're sorted anyway.

It is better to talk to your FEO, if possible. Forces cannot have a policy on rimfire for fox, though many do anyway, because each case must be considered on merit. Personally, for the odd fox, just shoot the damn thing on a rimfire ticket - prosecution is not in the public interest, given the low level of potential offence, and the impossibility of proving that a fox is vermin.

I think we're all getting a bit "handbags at the ready" over this. Is it really that important? The .22 Hornet is perfectly capable of the job as are the others. The OP has already said he wants a sub 200 yard gun and any .22 centrefire will do that.

Oh, and stop calling bullets "heads", it's doing my head in! :good:

There is, but, cheapest stuff is Prvi, and then it's over a quid a bang. 223 has a lot of mid price stuff like American eagle which is perfectl decent And reasonably available.

its only 8 pound round here for privi. and then there is sako game heads 50 and 55 grain there 18 pound and norma 40 grain, fedral 50 grain are just over 20 pound so there around a 1 pound a pop say. but so are 223 rounds in these makes.

i think this thread has gone off track guys. :good:

so go get a 222 or a 223 load it up with a good 40 or 50 grain bt or soft point go out aim at the fox and kill it. then reload in the future. simple

I meant that there's Prvi for cheap, and if that doesn't work you're then on to quid a bang ammo. Should have phrased it better, my apologies!

found privi abit hit and miss mr l sometimes i was getting lovely tight groups with it then othertimes getting a nice group then would get flyers. thats factory ammo for you.

not that it mattered i only got the cheap ammo to use the brass. for reloading. the 222 is so accurate that if you dont put 3 or 4 rounds in the size of a 5 pence piece you get angry :good::P

of course as long as it grouped 1/2 at 100 yards your on to a winner and more then you need for foxing

well being a bias , i love the 22.250 , such a versital round , hard hitting and can be made into such a accurate round . i can place a group of 3 rounds at 100yrs in less than a 5 pence peice every time, using home loads of course . but i did get given some winchester silver tips to try out and for a factory round quite impressed but at 35 quid for 20 just glad i didnt have to buy them.but at the end of the day the choice is down to you . any calibre 17hmr 22 hornet 222 223 22.250 will take a fox down but it just depends on the range you wish to take them at . my personal option a 22rf is not a fox calbre it may have a 40gn head but its a slow round and has not got the velocity to do the job correcty.why wound !!! but saying that i know some people who cant shoot with the above . its all about placement . to do the job correctly you must you the correct tool . :good: