Bore sighter?

Alecshoots

Hi guys , looking for advice on which bore sighter /shot saver to get ...are the one's on fleebay any good ...or has anyone got one for sale ?

it's for a 22.250

thanks Alec

To be honest Id save your money. I used to work in a gun shop as a lad and we did it for people. You can do the same by taking the bolt out, aligning the bore on the target and then doing the same with the cross hairs. Obviously the rifle has to be securely fixed.

To be honest Id save your money. I used to work in a gun shop as a lad and we did it for people. You can do the same by taking the bolt out, aligning the bore on the target and then doing the same with the cross hairs. Obviously the rifle has to be securely fixed.

When i used to shoot full bore rifle when in the cadet force in my teens, we would bore sight every gun in the method listed by Fortune 82 prior to shooting it to get the sight alignment close to right. It would never get the alignment perfect, but would get you to within about 2 foot at 100yds . It was particurlarly helpfull if the sights had been altered way way off alignment by some muppet playing with the gun while on exercise !

I guess the laser comes into use though if you can't dissasemble the rifle enough to to look down the barrell without moving the sights. With the Cadet Rifle the sights were mounted on the receiver so you could field strip the weapon and bore sight using the receiver/barrel assembly only

I bought a laser bore sighter from the States a few years back. I have hardly ever used it and to be honest as fortune82 says you can do just as well by boresighting it. The last time I boresighted my 22-250 by just taking the bolt out and looking at a target 100yds away it was within a couple of inches.

Another vote for saving your money, I run a lot of rifles, I know many who run a lot of rifles and change them, and optics a lot, and I'm also secretary of a rifle club at Bisley.

Nobody I know bothers with them and you ALWAYS have to check with live fire anyway, boresight by eye, or send off an initial zeroing shot very close and you can solve all your problems without one, and a couple of rounds extra (IF required) is still a lot cheaper than any boresighter!

Once zeroed a boresighter will never be accuarte enough to check a one or two click knock, so live fire is required again.

Save your money!