Practical Shotgun

Eagle

Eagle

The South West is a big area but....

Good clubs I can recommend are "Two Rivers" who shoot near Hartland.

Frome & District Pistol Club, 15 miles south of Bristol

Or Shield Shooting Centre Nr Bridport.

If you let me know where you are I can PM you some contact details.

ATB

Neil

Harv your so bad...... ???:lol::lol:

Mung thanks.... :D

Are the targets stationary?

Henry

Most are, but some move, swing left & right, fly or disappear after a single exposure, time taken is a major factor in calculating the scores, shooting must be fast & also accurate if you wish to score well by the end of the match.

Targets can be steel plates of varying sizes, clays, A4 paper targets with scoring zones or IPSC cardboard targets, different ammo types are used against the varying targets, regular birdshot against all steels, slugs or 9 ball buckshot on the paper & cardboard, & all ammo types against clays providing the backstops are suitable. (the clays only fly when using birdshot)

Slugs fired at static clays held on wooden supports in the sand at 35 yards + can be quite challenging from a smooth bore when unsupported & also against the clock.

Its good fun though.

ATB

N

Also think of it as clay shooting for those that can`t.

A lot of PSG shooters also shoot clays so that's a bit unfair, some of us attended the NvS clay shoot & had a great time, any clay shooter wishing to try psg would get a similarly warm welcome, we are all just shooters at the end of the day, I think we should support each other.

In clay shooting your tested on your ability to hit moving objects while you stand in one place & that's what makes it challenging.

Practical shotgun is simply different to what many of you do, in that only some of the targets move, but what makes it difficult is the fact that the shooter is moving constantly while making their way through a stage which could have as many as 28 targets in it, all of which must be shot as fast as possible, so some reloading is required & it has to be fast if you want to have a quick time.

In PSG its no use only being able to shoot while standing still, you have to be practiced at hitting targets as you move & also while keeping the gun topped up with cartridges as you go. so as well as shooting other gun handling skills are tested against the clock.

Also every single stage is different, we never get the same target presentation twice which helps to keep the matches fresh & interesting, match builders constantly strive to create a unique challenge to solve in the fastest time.

Its good fun and constantly fresh, which is why its growing in popularity, we are constantly striving to meet demand for people who want to try it & my inbox is always full of questions.

The UKPSA now has a regular monthly column & articles in the online target shooter magazine which may be of interest to those who wish to read up more on what psg is about.

http://www.targetshooter.co.uk/

This months article starts on page 100.

ATB

Neil