application for shotgun cert

andy mck

hy guys.

just filling in the application for my shotgun cert, wondered if someone could help.

the idea is to get my cert in so i can continue lessons and travel to other shoots but im not really in the financial situation to get a cabinet or shotgun for that matter. can i still be granted one if i don't have a cabinet.

thanks

You would need to provide secure storage, because once you have the certificate you could go out and buy a gun, and you'd have nowhere to store it.

A friend giving written permission for you to share their cabinet would likely be ok. You can pick up a second hand cabinet for less than £50 on ebay or sometimes here.

A friend has a cert and no cabinet, reason she borrows a gun on game shoots, but wanted to be able to buy carts and carry the gun (saves all the faffing or "occupier" etc), FEO said fine but before buying a gun must get cabinet fitted and let them know. Just explain this to FEO and they should be fine about it (worth keeping an eye out for secondhand cab in the meantime as they sometimes crop up for £50 and if local worth doing in preparation, if you borrow a gun under the 72 hour rule you still need to secure it.

iv been looking on ebay, alot of them are in England and are wanting pick up only, my only option seems to be from a website. their about £130 which isnt 2 bad

My advice on cabinets would be to get a rifle cabinet (for the depth so you can get a scoped rifle in someday), with a locking top and buy a wide one as the fit can be rather snug.

I bought mine (Brattonsound RL5+ Extra Deep with locking top) from phillipmorris as the postage was reasonable at £10

A friend has a cert and no cabinet, reason she borrows a gun on game shoots, but wanted to be able to buy carts and carry the gun (saves all the faffing or "occupier" etc), FEO said fine but before buying a gun must get cabinet fitted and let them know. Just explain this to FEO and they should be fine about it (worth keeping an eye out for secondhand cab in the meantime as they sometimes crop up for £50 and if local worth doing in preparation, if you borrow a gun under the 72 hour rule you still need to secure it.

Snap. No problem with my FEO approving my SGC without a cabinet. Just rang him up once cabinet was installed for him to pop round and give it the all clear. Bought gun and fanny's a rude word.

If you're serious about continuing shooting, buy the biggest cabinet you can fit in and afford. I had a 3 gun cabinet, but that got a bit tight for space very quickly. Most people go through a "Peak" time of ownership, where they buy a couple of guns here and there.

I've now got a 5 gun deep cabinet which cost me £80 S/H. Ask your local RFDs to keep an eye out - Sometimes they get a whole kit in when a shooter gives up the sport completely.

• 1 month later...

The cabinate thing seams to vary across the country, while some have reported they can their licence before installing a cabinate, but notify the FEO before buying a gun so that they can check the cabinate out. While in other areas like mine they want to see the cabinate fitted before they will issue you your licence. You will be best off checking with your FEO on how they operate regarding the installation of the cabinate.

Any driving offences must be declared, the same applies to any medical conditions, as they will check evry thing out. Only your FEO will be able to say about the driving offences, but normally from what others have reported things like speeding have made no effect on their application, again this appears to vary from area to area and what the driving offences were.

The cabinate thing seams to vary across the country, while some have reported they can their licence before installing a cabinate, but notify the FEO before buying a gun so that they can check the cabinate out. While in other areas like mine they want to see the cabinate fitted before they will issue you your licence. You will be best off checking with your FEO on how they operate regarding the installation of the cabinate.

Any driving offences must be declared, the same applies to any medical conditions, as they will check evry thing out. Only your FEO will be able to say about the driving offences, but normally from what others have reported things like speeding have made no effect on their application, again this appears to vary from area to area and what the driving offences were.

Cheers BerrattaSV10. 1 x Speeding offence coming back from Manchester cycle veladrome over wood head pass. 1 x speeding coming back from Nottingham all in one week. Makes me think Police where after there Christmas bonus.

A friend had speeding on his appliation, which I think was just time expired and he had no problem in getting his certifficate. Just remember to declare evry thing they ask on the application form. If you don't declare things they will bring it up on the interview / visit to check you and your property and ask why you did not declare things.

Hope every thing goes well and you get your certifficate and you continue to enjoy the sport.

Edited by BerettaSV10

You dont need a cabinet unless you buy a gun one of the youngsters who hunts with me got his cert in Strathclyde no cabinet borrowed a gun from me when we went out no problem.Pm me if you want any more info I'm in Glasgow SACs membership is also a good idea.

Thanks Vulpicide. I think I need to get intouch with local police and get things moving.

Can you help? I have two old driving convictions (5 years old) would this delay or stop my aplication. Do i buy a cabinet now or can i waite? :/

Wiggy.

I had one speeding offence from 9 years ago which I replied, Firearms officer didn't have a problem with it and appreciated the honesty. He also said that its quite easy to clock up a few in a short period of time these days, so most people have something at sometime.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to drag up an old thread. I phone south yorkshire F.A.D the other day to ask if I would still require an interview even though I was only applying for the license to buy carts. The guy said there is no law stating that a certificate is needed in order to buy, store or transport carts. Apparently the cartridge dealers ask for one on grounds of safety and liability I guess. Just a heads up for the fellow newbies :good: