Buzzard attacking pigeon decoys

grumpy gouse

Out last saturday, with d.wright, on the bean stubble. Buzzard appeared and atttacked both floaters, one a chris green decoy and one a dead bird. Didnt put the pigeons off as we ended up with 108 picked !

ps not the best copy as it was taken from my iphone, best viewed on full screen

Edited by grumpy gouse

thats a good one.

there were always a smattering of pigeon here, not many as a rule unless you got lucky on some laid barley, i nipped up the back stubbles one afternoon full of enthusiam for half a dozen woodies for the oven, set up a sackfull of plastics from a kneeley hide under a gorse bush and waited.

sun was really high and i waited and i waited, then out of knowhere whoooooosh a kestral whallops a plastic deek, it bounces away, and he just stands there looking around, it was along time ago now, but one of those things you dont forget, i had a real good look at him, and eventually i also got enough pigeon for the pot, also 2 knees full of gorse needles, havent forgotten that bit either.

Edited by manxman2

sun was really high and i waited and i waited, then out of knowhere whoooooosh a kestral whallops a plastic deek, it bounces away, and he just stands there looking around, it was along time ago now, but one of those things you dont forget, i had a real good look at him, and eventually i also got enough pigeon for the pot, also 2 knees full of gorse needles, havent forgotten that bit either.

Not trying to be a smart*rse but are you sure it was a kestrel and not a sparrowhawk

Edited by Benellimelody

Not trying to be a smart*rse but are you sure it was a kestrel and not a sparrowhawk

your right, all different shades of brown, still stood quite tall, and still a good few of them around, i lived in jurby for awhile and its called the windy city here.

my house backed on to the school playing field, and the gap between the house and next doors gable was a wind tunnel.

coming out the front door to the car one day i just glance down the gap in time to see a hawk of some kind {probably sparrow} on the tail of a swallow or swift, and on my granddaughters eyesight the swallow/swift went under the car and the hawk over the top and twisting and weaving they went out of sight.

Edited by manxman2

ben it was a kestral.

theres alot of sparrowhawk and hen harriers here, roosts of upto 80 birds its the biggest in western europe, all brown speckles as described was a kestral.

sparrowhawks are more greyish thinking about it, and i had observed a goodly few of them whilst recceing with the binos.

Edited by manxman2

cming back from shrimping one day sparrow hawk dropped a racing pidgeon right in front of me feathers every where stopped and it walked to me put it in a box and the hawk followed me all the way to the shore pidgon was still in box after boiling up the shrimps it whent on its way when i threw it up wont won the race that day

I have a Buzzard on our farm although it has not attacked my deeks it does make a routine soar above them, maybe my patterns aren't convincing enough lol. However i do get a female sparrowhawk that has visited me the last two times out and the last time out it attacked a half shell pigeon deek on a spring stick and it crapped itself when it realised it was no good for breakfast

i had a couple of spare hours after a bit of crow bashing so i threw out some pigeon shell decoys and waited on a few pigeons anyway i shot a pigeon who flew on around 60 yrds and dropped and thought i,ll collect you later WRONG a buzzard came in and proceded to eat it a secound buzzard tried to take it away from her and she tried to fly off with it but couldnt .now this happend a secound time to me the same day with another pigeon bluddy buzzard nicked it again still i enjoyed watching them :good: