feeding pigeon to dogs

peejay

I feed them to my cocker. I usually give him 3 or so breasts fried up, then chopped into chunks. I tried them raw but he seems to digest them better when cooked. I give him kibble and a few biscuits to bulk it up. I only feed this two or three times a week, alternating with chicken wings (raw) and cheepo tuna still with the other bits to bulk up with.

Fine dining, the guy eats better than we do :good::yes:

Dogs cant live on meat alone, It would be good a couple of times a week mixed with biscuits.

I feed mine rabbit flesh (raw), tripe (raw) a couple of times a week but there main diet is a decent dry mix.

And they look well on it.

Can they not? Mine has for the last year and looks good! Chicken wings, Tripe, Beef trim, Pigeon, Pheasant legs, Rabbit etc etc. Dogs certainly dont need all the **** in some kibble foods.

Can they not? Mine has for the last year and looks good! Chicken wings, Tripe, Beef trim, Pigeon, Pheasant legs, Rabbit etc etc. Dogs certainly dont need all the **** in some kibble foods.

Thats not meat alone though is it?

Whole carcass, yes they thrive on it, meat alone is no good long term, Fed A big bowls of minced pigeon breasts everyday a dog would lose condition.

The trouble with feeding whole is parasites, i freeze my rabbits first to kill worms, fleas and ticks off

I was talking to a vet just yesterday about the right food for my pup, (Bittany 10 wks)

She said to give a pup the very best start, a quality dried puppy food should be the basis of its diet because it takes away the guess work on nutrients, Then anything else you feel would benefit your dog

And she also said a raw meat diet is fine for an adult dog aslong as it gets bones aswell.

I always add dried food to a bowl of meat to give some minerals and vitamins.

As for digesting at different rates, bone and flesh must digest at different rates too???

Edited by Daveo26

Whole carcass, yes they thrive on it, meat alone is no good long term, Fed A big bowls of minced pigeon breasts everyday a dog would lose condition.

The trouble with feeding whole is parasites, i freeze my rabbits first to kill worms, fleas and ticks off

I was talking to a vet just yesterday about the right food for my pup, (Bittany 10 wks)

She said to give a pup the very best start, a quality dried puppy food should be the basis of its diet because it takes away the guess work on nutrients, Then anything else you feel would benefit your dog

And she also said a raw meat diet is fine for an adult dog aslong as it gets bones aswell.

As for digesting at different rates, bone and flesh must digest at different rates too???

I get you! I do occasionally feed mine a dry food. My mate used to work for a topish end dry food company. The **** they put in the food was unreal, it included the waste from a chocolate factory!

I wouldn't guarantee freezing as killing parasite eggs, and also you do take the skin off so fleas and ticks aren't an issue. If you want to feed whole its dead simple just put them on a decent worming schedule and all will be fine. Stronghold once every month kills roundworms and most parasites except tape worms which if you dose once every 3 months with drontal plus then that gets them. We only feed dried food for our own convenience dogs aren't really designed to eat cereal based food it just keeps it easy. personally mine has a mix of dries and wet food and the occasional bit of shooting fare depending whats about and what I do't want to eat.

I wouldn't guarantee freezing as killing parasite eggs, and also you do take the skin off so fleas and ticks aren't an issue. If you want to feed whole its dead simple just put them on a decent worming schedule and all will be fine. Stronghold once every month kills roundworms and most parasites except tape worms which if you dose once every 3 months with drontal plus then that gets them. We only feed dried food for our own convenience dogs aren't really designed to eat cereal based food it just keeps it easy. personally mine has a mix of dries and wet food and the occasional bit of shooting fare depending whats about and what I do't want to eat.

I do feed without skins,

Freezing at minus 15 for the 3 weeks kills parasite eggs, I worm my dogs regularly andyway.