My springers first day beating

chunkyed

Don't trust him full stop! Don't let him get too hot, if you think he's going that way stop him, call him up and heel him for a short time.

And when the keeper shouts "Let the dogs work" at the end of the drive in head high gorse and bramble, put him on the lead!

Don't leave him off the lead in drives where you know he is going to run off and you won't be able to get him in time.

Put him on the lead when you get to the flushing point you don't want him running in and putting every bird up at once.

Do work him in cover that is about knee high and where you can get to him before he makes a break for it.

You don't have to work him on every drive.

But I'm sure some expert is going to come along and say 'If he's not trained then he shouldn't be out in the first place'

But I'm sure some expert is going to come along and say 'If he's not trained then he shouldn't be out in the first place'

To which I would say... how do you expect to train him to work in the beating line - having never seen a beating line before ;)

Don't trust him full stop! Don't let him get too hot, if you think he's going that way stop him, call him up and heel him for a short time.

And when the keeper shouts "Let the dogs work" at the end of the drive in head high gorse and bramble, put him on the lead!

100% agree with William the number of times i hear "go on let the dogs off" ye right on your bike, thats the easiest way to screw all the training up

Hopefully you have been to the shoot yourself and you know the hot points to where the most flushes will happen, thats when you put the dog on the lead....

Have a good one im out tomorrow as well and i know my dog will be on over drive....i shoot on a small shoot where there are not hundreds of birds about which is great for the dogs, but on another i beat, there are 3500 birds down and certain points you could flush hundreds of birds and then my dog is on the lead as explained above

Anyway enjoy the day

also worth giving him a bit of exercise before hand, its a catch 22 you have to let them go at some point if you try a drive or two on the lead it can wind them up something chronic rather than getting a little of it out of their system. As said let off at the start of the drive and get either to heel or on the lead about half way through to start with. Mine gets a good walk before hand then I usually dog in a few bits before we start but she is a bit of a tool at times ;)

doing the same thing , my ESS just under 2yrs , i,m letting her walk up the edges on the way to the drive etc to flush , but as soon as the proper drive starts shes back on the lead , which is a night mare in tall maize :good: but needs must.

i keep my eye on the keeper and wait for the very last bit of the drive ( after the final big flush :yes: ) before unleasing her ( is this not a good idea ?? :P ) and tell her to hunt on so theres no chance of her spoiling the drive but she gets to work just a little bit at the end . maybe thats right or maybe wrong -- comments welcome.. :drinks:

We always give our ESS a short walk before hand just to get her warmed up so to speak, and I think its very much a confidence thing for both of you, only you know how well training has gone!. Saying that you have to start somewhere and if you feel that you are both ready give it a go you might be suprised.

p54jes

Hello fellas. Update on the beating situation. I left her on the lead for the first 3 drives. On the forth i let her off because i was doing the hedge rows so i had her walk to heal. After dinner i let her off on the 5th drive and she was really good. She had never really seen game but she put 4 birds up. After each bird she put up she came straight back. I let her off on the 6th drive to and she did the same. I put her on the lead just befor the flushing point on both drives. Also i took her a walk the other day and sent her into some cover and she put 2 birds up and came back to the whistle. So all look promising. Beating again saturday. I shall let you all know how she gets on. Thanks for the tips guys. :yes: