Gun damaged in transit

soreshoulder

Many of you might know i was selling my winchester to hardwoods green off of this forum and he asked for it to be sent via RFD, I took the gun to pieces and wrapped them up in many layers of newspaper so it could not be seen throuugh the bubble wrap and then wrapped each piece in bubble wrap and slotted them inside a the slip that i got with the gun originally which is quite a thick slip you couldnt feel the individual pieces if you felt the package. I sent it off and got a message from hardwoods green this morning says that he was dissapointed with the condition of the gun and that there was a dent in the bottom barrel and that the rib was hanging off, do i have any comeback on this? or am i going to have to pay damages, obviously i will be giving hardwoods green a full refund.

can you send shotguns via the post office?

Personally I think you are probably up **** creek. If it has been signed for then there is not much come back.

I have been stung a few times buying things over the net which have arrived damaged - so before I sign for anything I open the package/ parcel to check the condition. Most of the drivers accept this, and are grateful of a cold drink on a hot day while they wait.

One driver for DHL even told a friend of mine to sign for everything as DAMAGED, because that way you can claim for it if it is, and don't have to check before signing for it. I still prefer to open the parcel though!

Back to the RFD then - can they back up the fact that it was in good condition before it was posted?

i doubt it as i took it in to the shop packaged and ready to go, nigel teague did have it a week before to see if he could alter the stock so surely he would of picked up on anything majorly deffective but maybe not

get hold of the RFD who sent it and check if it was insured with whoever, then lodge a claim if it is. Only thing I'd add is its a little fishy to have knocked the rib off. Yes they could in theory get dented but that wouldn't remove the rib, these things get thrown in the back of vans and boxes land on them but the damage is definitely odd. Hope you've organised pictures of the damage and for the gun to be returned?

RFD is your first port of call then to check if he insured it when it was sent. You then need him to lodge a claim matters not how it was signed as you just say the person who signed for it didn't see any obvious damage but when it was unwrapped it became apparent.

First off get the photos off the gun you took before you sent it and then the ones of the damage, take these to the RFD you paid to send the item ASAP in person they will have to contact TNT, as it RFD to RFD i guess the receiving RFD signed for the package? From what i know Firearms are sent by special TNT drivers and are carried secure in the van not just in with the standard parcels but I am not 100% on that just what a gunsmith told me when the TNT man arrived with ££££ worth of firearms while i was there.

First off get the photos off the gun you took before you sent it and then the ones of the damage, take these to the RFD you paid to send the item ASAP in person they will have to contact TNT, as it RFD to RFD i guess the receiving RFD signed for the package? From what i know Firearms are sent by special TNT drivers and are carried secure in the van not just in with the standard parcels but I am not 100% on that just what a gunsmith told me when the TNT man arrived with ££££ worth of firearms while i was there.

unlikely not at £25 delivered throughout the UK, no chance they are going on dedicated vehicles, they'll call it secure but in reality its not especially secure!