Decoy pattern

Fishermanpaddy

What would be the average distance to lay the decoys out at away from the hide, starting with the distance of the first to last. I realise that its not an exact science but what would be a general rule of thumb?

I have about 30 decoys and usually just scatter them but im planning on trying to get into it a bit more and want to try a horshoe shape that everyone talks about, I have 2 bouncers in the pattern also.

When you set out your decoys, you create an area that you hope the pigeons are going to land in (of course you don't have to wait until they land to shoot them).

I try to make the furthest point of this area 35-40 yards approx from my hide and I set out my decoys accordingly.

Where I place the layout depends on the wind direction.

Start by putting one at a distance of 25yrds out directly in front of the hide then scatter the other at 2m apart facing the wind,the pattern is to your preference and we all have our favourite idea :good:

First decoy about 15 yards from the hide stretching 35/45 yards (killing range) with about 20 yards between the 2 sides of the horseshoe pattern (killing zone)

bakerboy

I usually start with the first decoy at somewhere around 15-20 yards, and the back of the pattern at about 35 yards. If you get the odd woodie landing at the back of the pattern it means I can still get a shot off at it. I maybe work a bit closer than some but I shoot with an open choked gun. Depends on you gun really (and of course what cartridges), if it's a tight fixed choke gun I would set out a further away. Decoy pattern depends on where I am really but generally the horseshoe is fine as long as you leave a good killing area.

If I use floaters I would set these another 10- 15 yards back from the horseshoe but definately wouldnt place them so that they obstruct the flight into the killing area!

Equally important is that you go to the pigeons and dont always expect them to come to you!

thats only my opinion though :good: and if you was to ask my wife my opinion dont count anyway :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

Im like my decoys close i start my decoys around 5 yards from the hide with the furthest decoy about 35 yards out like to bring them close gives me better chance of bagging 2 each time :blink: :good:

Thats very similar to my way Tom.

The only other thing I do is usually pace one decoy out to 40 yards just as a distance/range marker. Having said that, I'm not sure why I do it because if I think, in the split second that you've got, if its do-able I'll have a pop at it anyway, no matter what the distance. :lol: