The Three (or one) That Got Away: High Seat Stalking -

ab1964

Stalking in Scotland near Galloway Forest last week I learned a few lessons when using a high seat.

Field of views from the High-Seat: Left of the seat was a ride of rising ground filled with tall grasses, bog myrtle, a stream in the middle, and bordered on the north and south sides with trees. Field of view was about three hundred by one yards. Right of the high seat is a clearing of about 200 yards long by 150 yards wide where the stream drains into. The clearing was filled with hip-high grasses, bog myrtle, and bordered with trees. Straight ahead of the seat viewed a gravel access road rising up-hill for about two hundred yards before the road peaked and dipped downward. It was about 20 yards wide – from tree line to tree line.

Familiar with this stalking ground, I found my pre-dawn way to the seat, climbed up, and settled in placing my rifle on my left (I shoot lefty) resting it across the back and front of the high-seat frame.

At around 8:30 am - getting ready to call it quits for the morning, I bowed my head for a few minutes, closing my eyes - and just trying to listen and distinguish between the wind blowing through the trees and any wildlife movement. Raising my head three reds walked out of the forest and on to the road about thirty yards in front of me: No - I did not hear them. At least two of them were hinds - and I'm pretty sure the third one was too - but not 100%. Slowly I shouldered my Tikka T3. All the while the deer, looking straight at me, continued to casually walk across the road. With my T3 shouldered, looking through the scope, all I saw was a big blurry mess.

The magnification was turned up to 12x. With the deer continually, albeit slowly, moving across the road, I slowly moved again to turn down the magnification. Having now a crystal clear view through the scope - all but one deer made it across the road and back into the forest. With my cross hairs placed on the remaining deer's chest, and safety off, this deer was almost back into the forest as well. To my frustration - the deer's head was not visible from the neck up. Its head was behind a tree. Though I was reasonably sure it was a hind - but not 100% sure - I decided not to fire.

Two Lessons learned: 1) when settling into a high-seat: adjust the scope's magnification to an appropriate level. And 2) when sitting in mentioned high-seat: have the rifle as close to shouldered as possible.

And that's the story of the three One that got away.

Edited by ab1964

Other lessons I have learnt (The hard way)

Never have a Curry the night before, and always force yourself to go to the toilet before you set out.

Always bring a knife (Simple, but you'll never forgive yourself if you don't).

Keep the gun mounted to some degree - if you bring it up from the highseat flooring, not only are you making huge amounts of movement, but, if your really excited, you can end up breathing on the scope.

Check the amount of noise your safety makes, that little 'click' can be enough to sent them flying.