Just burnt out my pc memory card!

V8landy

Well it might not be as bad as I thought! Firstly As you might have guessed the PC is still working (hence me on here)

What did I do ?

I thought I would look at my pc memory to see about adding more to upgrade it. It is an Old Advent PC with 512 MB DDR, just one stick, but 2 slots on the board.

So I takes it out and writes the info down and then puts it back in the slot you can only fit the card in one way! (or so I thought)

Fired up the PC and it starts beebing and a smell of burning.

So I take sout the card and noticed 2 of the small square gold contacts are burnt out!

**** I thinks!

Tries it again, still beeping, so I thought lets try it in the other slot and fe wit works.

BUT, stange how it is still working?

I guess now I now it still works I should trie the other slot again?

But back to the orginal reason why I took it apart, I want some more memory in it.

This site says 1gb, but also lists some more stuff below, can any one confrim what I can fit to MAX out my PC?

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/listparts.aspx?model=3119&pl=Advent&cat=RAM

That site says you can have a max of 3GB. i.e. It says you should have 3 memory slots on the motherboard and each slot can take a 1MB module. So, 3 x 1MB gives you the 3MB max. If you went with that, you just have to ditch the existing memory.

In your post, you say you have only 2 slots though, so best check you are referencing the correct model.

Did you put your fingers all over the chips on the RAM when reinstalling, or did you handle it by the edges and attempt to earth yourself before touching it to get rid of any static in your body?

You might have just got a bit of dust in the connectors and it's caught alight

YESIt still works in the orginal slot.

And Intel think they know how to make things (pha) I have just made it work with 2 burnt out parts.

I think I will just for for a second 512MB stick.

I assume I have do it in pairs? I.e I can not stick a 1gb stick in with my 512MB one?

YESIt still works in the orginal slot.

And Intel think they know how to make things (pha) I have just made it work with 2 burnt out parts.

I think I will just for for a second 512MB stick.

I assume I have do it in pairs? I.e I can not stick a 1gb stick in with my 512MB one?

You can't mix and match RAM. If you're upgrading your RAM you need to make sure it's 100% compatible and that you're not mixing capacities and/or SDRAM and DDR.

There's no point in trying to stick as much in as possible, as Windoze limits the amount to about 3.5gb... Top invention that was! :lol:

Well it might not be as bad as I thought! Firstly As you might have guessed the PC is still working (hence me on here)

What did I do ?

I thought I would look at my pc memory to see about adding more to upgrade it. It is an Old Advent PC with 512 MB DDR, just one stick, but 2 slots on the board.

So I takes it out and writes the info down and then puts it back in the slot you can only fit the card in one way! (or so I thought)

Fired up the PC and it starts beebing and a smell of burning.

So I take sout the card and noticed 2 of the small square gold contacts are burnt out!

**** I thinks!

Tries it again, still beeping, so I thought lets try it in the other slot and fe wit works.

BUT, stange how it is still working?

I guess now I now it still works I should trie the other slot again?

But back to the orginal reason why I took it apart, I want some more memory in it.

This site says 1gb, but also lists some more stuff below, can any one confrim what I can fit to MAX out my PC?

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/listparts.aspx?model=3119&pl=Advent&cat=RAM

if you tell me what ram it is 512mb of what? i may have some u can have

Edited by djgeoff

You have pm.

I assume I will notice an improvment with another 512mb of ram i.e now 1gb?

But I am tempted to go for the 2 x 1gb.

Seen them for about £40 off fleebay.

otherwise about £10 of fleebay for 512MB

Current ram is

512MB DDR ram PC2700 184 pin NON ECC (what ever that lot means)