land not cleared for firearms

ste 2712

• 5 months later...

update !!

after not shooting here for a good few months because of only being allowed to shot air rifle, i decided to give the feo a call again!

well it appears the guy who used to do land checks has moved to a new area and the new guy wanted to walk the land!! so i met him yesterday an within 5 mins of being there he couldn't believe it want cleared!!!

so he cleared it for centerfire!!!! :good:

top chap i knew it was worth another shot (no pun intended) at getting it cleared.

It's an interesting one.

My permission is flat land full of footpaths and next door to the M25. I think it's cleared for upto .243 but to shoot any bigger e.g. .308 the firearms lot have insisted that shots be taken from a high seat or a high chair.

Daft things are:

1. what constitutes a high seat / high chair? Where is the legal definition? As it happens, we shoot off the back of a jacked up Vitara which has raised rear shooting seats so I reckon this ticks the box. Being practical, shots off the back are guaranteed to have a fairly steep trajactory into the ground.

2. my ticket is "open" however, they have kept on the stipulation that I shoot my chunky centre fire rifles from a high chair on my main permission. Obviously, if I had permission of the neighbouring landowner I could stand in a neighbouring field, self certify and fire away as I please.

Go figure?

EDIT: Exact words below

"The .25-06 and 7.62 / .308 rifles, sound moderators and ammunition shall be used for shooting deer and may also be used for fox from high seats at [insert name of farm] and on other land for shooting deer and fox, and for zeroing on ranges or land over which the holder has lawful authority to shoot".

It's clear there's little in the way of uniformity; it's down to the particular FEO on the day.

Edited by Mungler

Nice one :good: ,just goes to show how different people have different interpretations of what is safe and what's not.

All those bunnies and foxes that think they are safe because no one ever shoots at them are in for a shock :lol:

to be honest when i first enquired about the place the old feo said its been checked 6 years ago an i don't need to check again!!!!!

i think he just couldn't be bothered an when he first checked it he must of done it by just looking at a map!

because when you get on the land it is astonishing how someone could say it aint suitable!

It's an interesting one.

My permission is flat land full of footpaths and next door to the M25. I think it's cleared for upto .243 but to shoot any bigger e.g. .308 the firearms lot have insisted that shots be taken from a high seat or a high chair.

Daft things are:

1. what constitutes a high seat / high chair? Where is the legal definition? As it happens, we shoot off the back of a jacked up Vitara which has raised rear shooting seats so I reckon this ticks the box. Being practical, shots off the back are guaranteed to have a fairly steep trajactory into the ground.

2. my ticket is "open" however, they have kept on the stipulation that I shoot my chunky centre fire rifles from a high chair on my main permission. Obviously, if I had permission of the neighbouring landowner I could stand in a neighbouring field, self certify and fire away as I please.

Go figure?

i know its crazy even the feo said yesterday " you can have a .243 for deer stalking and a condition put on for shooting fox with it while stalking, but you cannot have a .243 for fox shooting " he then said "whoever writes these laws ? i don't know it is ******g stupid"

"The .25-06 and 7.62 / .308 rifles, sound moderators and ammunition shall be used for shooting deer and may also be used for fox from high seats at [insert name of farm] and on other land for shooting deer and fox, and for zeroing on ranges or land over which the holder has lawful authority to shoot".

It's clear there's little in the way of uniformity; it's down to the particular FEO on the day.

i totally agree ! well it looks like i have a good 1 now! he even asked if he could have a few rabbits of me next time i am out! even offered to pay! don't think il charge him tho lol! :lol:

Edited by ste 2712

Ste

I just found your thread - now your problem is solved but would have offered to come and look it over for you and talk to the FEO as I'm very close to you.

No need now - so good shooting !!!

thanks kes, i might have to give you a shout next time then lol!!

didnt realise you were from this way!

atb steve

update !!

after not shooting here for a good few months because of only being allowed to shot air rifle, i decided to give the feo a call again!

well it appears the guy who used to do land checks has moved to a new area and the new guy wanted to walk the land!! so i met him yesterday an within 5 mins of being there he couldn't believe it want cleared!!!

so he cleared it for centerfire!!!! :good:

top chap i knew it was worth another shot (no pun intended) at getting it cleared.

Thank heavens "common sense" has at last prevailed for you mate. This example is perfect for showing how different FEOs seem to see things completely differently, and at times now "unreasonable" or "lacking in common sense" some FEOs can be!

Some flos are just clueless! I just than the heavens that mine is a top lady, when I was stopped by the police while foxing - they were pretty unreasonable and did not know what they were dealing with, she tracked them down a gave them some "educating" as she called it! Keeping me informed through out.

If I had the ops flo I would not have any ground to shoot on when I was on a closed cert, i have 1000s of acres here in Devon and most have footpaths bridleways etc

Glad it worked out for you - would like to see most flos take a practical rifle course so they can understand what is being asked of them.

Thank heavens "common sense" has at last prevailed for you mate. This example is perfect for showing how different FEOs seem to see things completely differently, and at times now "unreasonable" or "lacking in common sense" some FEOs can be!

yeh i'm glad i called again! it was really starting to annoy me as i drive that way to work each day. an seeing all the land an knowing it wasn't cleared was rather frustrating!!!!

so in the end it got the better of me and i decided i was going to keep mithering till it was rechecked.

just glad the new feo has common sense!!!! but to be honest how it was said to be unsafe is beyond me an the new feo!!

Some flos are just clueless! I just than the heavens that mine is a top lady, when I was stopped by the police while foxing - they were pretty unreasonable and did not know what they were dealing with, she tracked them down a gave them some "educating" as she called it! Keeping me informed through out.

If I had the ops flo I would not have any ground to shoot on when I was on a closed cert, i have 1000s of acres here in Devon and most have footpaths bridleways etc

Glad it worked out for you - would like to see most flos take a practical rifle course so they can understand what is being asked of them.

i agree some feos are clueless! an something needs to be done regarding firearms training for feos or even better a common sense course!

:rolleyes: Thank god for that mate, ive shot there with Ste a few times and its a fantastic permission with plenty of rabbits and on out first time out we saw 4 foxes. I was gobsmacked when Ste told me they were not gonna clear it as there are plenty of safe shots! Cannot wait to get back out there again Ste sorted mate :lol: