Another day on the Woodcock

ollie

Hi guys. I am off on holidays all week but this is the first day since the weekend that I have managed to get out on the woodcock. I went with my dad's mate and we had a very enjoyable day. The first couple of places that we went we had no result apart from a solitary magpie.

The next place we went we flushed a lot of birds. Ended up shooting 7 woodcock and 2 snipe between us. I was just thinking today how much longer it will be before there is a ban like last year. I went to feed the flight pond and it still hasn't thawed since Saturday because the feeding from Saturday was still stuck in the ice. I have never seen the ice as thick, when I finally broke through the surface it was about 5/6 inches thick.

Below is a few pics from today.

PICT0171.jpg

PICT0174.jpg

PICT0175.jpg

Hi guys. I am off on holidays all week but this is the first day since the weekend that I have managed to get out on the woodcock. I went with my dad's mate and we had a very enjoyable day. The first couple of places that we went we had no result apart from a solitary magpie.

The next place we went we flushed a lot of birds. Ended up shooting 7 woodcock and 2 snipe between us. I was just thinking today how much longer it will be before there is a ban like last year. I went to feed the flight pond and it still hasn't thawed since Saturday because the feeding from Saturday was still stuck in the ice. I have never seen the ice as thick, when I finally broke through the surface it was about 5/6 inches thick.

Below is a few pics from today.

PICT0171.jpg

PICT0174.jpg

PICT0175.jpg

Nice shooting. Our gun club has banned shooting in our area in county mayo but it is very bad here.

nice bag there mate. So far this season i have only had one chance at a woodcock and it was a cracking high bird which flighted over me at dusk whilst waiting for a duck. I dropped it with the first shot and it fell behind me. I searched for it well after flight time needless to say missing any oppurtunity of a duck but unfortunately could not find it in the dark. I returned the next morning and i found a few feathers in the spot which i had marked but i am certain that i lost it to fox......losing a woodcock is probably the worst thing that can happen. I think i ought to start shooting foxes i let 4 go last weekend.

Edited by angrymallard

Well done again ollie. Couple of nice springers by the way. Is there a drain behind the gate in the top right of the photo? I bet there was one or two in there :good:

Yes there is a deep burn the other side of that gate. That area is usually full of birds but no luck today.