Home made.

Cranfield

I know there is a section on the Home page for DIY things, but have you made or utilised something, not requiring engineering skills ?

My utilisation offering;

You will have seen the cheap camping/fishing/garden seats that fold up and come in a waterproof bag with a drawstring and carrying strap, usually cost between £6.99 and £9.99.

When the chair breaks (and it will) keep the bag for carrying you floaters, hide poles etc.

It works very well.

Emergency carrying bag,

My usual bag for carrying hide and poles and decoys fell apart

so I used an old waterproof plastic coat

I closed the hood with draw strings and tied the string to  the sleeves.

Then tied the two sleeves together.

Turned the coat upside down and put everything inside. Closed the drawstring at the bottom of the coat then clipped an old Nylon carrying strap to top and bottom

It made a good emergency replacement which was waterproof

light to carry, and was as big as a duffel bag

I took the plastic hoops out of an old fishing keep net,

cut it down to about three feet long, and tied the bottom

this has made a good decoy bag and when its empty its thrown over part of the hide to form a roof, just add a few bits of twigs grass or whatever is at hand.

regards sutty

:thumbs:

• 4 weeks later...

My best idea yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :/  :(  :/  :)

Paper-mache (think that's how you spell it) and expanding foam in a can.  :)  :/  :/  :/

Just think of the possibilities for copying decoys and best of all ...... the money I'll save!   :thumbs:  :D  :/  :/

Hide for 30 quid

Got a 10x5 camo net from Westcliff Army and Navy Surplus for about 25 pounds, three 2 foot long steel bars about 4 mm thick by 1 inch or so from a local welder for free and three 6 foot long wooden poles from a local wood shop for 2 pounds. Tied the camo net to the wooden poles with cable ties.  I put sections of plastic trunking - the small rectangle stuff - two per pole about 8 inches apart with a stop made from so called "modesty blocks", on the wooden poles. The steel bars go in the ground and I slide the steel poles up the trunking until they hit the modesty blocks, to give a very solid fit. I can even rest the barrells of my gun on the poles if my arm gets tired!

So a reasonably good hide - it works anyway - for under 30 quid

I'm stil trying to finish my rotery pigeon contraption ,I got off to a bit of a flyer with it last week when i was on hoiliday but work has been manic so far this week so havent done anything to it since the weekend,hope to get it finished for saturday so i can give it a go but i'm going to have to pull my finger out a bit(no beer Friday night).