AIR ARMS

deejay

I have just come across another nice gun in the sales section AIR ARMS S410 .22 .

These guns are just top class all air arms guns are ,However they come with an anti tamper screw for one reason .

So it cant be messed with ,The adjusting screw that is hidden by the anti tamper will not take the rifle to extreme power.

It will though take it above the 12ft lbs BUT NOT BY MUCH. They are designed so they can be fine tuned by a gunsmith so that the power will not go above there limit and thats all they are for ,So to all you s400 owners dont **** with the screw as it will not make any differece with regards to perfromance from your pellet but could have you in a lot of trouble for the sake of a couple of ft lbs .

And as for the one thats up for sale looks like a good gun ruined but still worth the money being asked ,I would advise to get power checked though asap when buying .

Regards Darren

Why is it a 'good gun ruined'... there may well have been a perfectly legitamate reason for the AT plugs being taken out by a legitamate gunsmith for some work to be done on the gun. It may have gone to a gunsmith and not AA for the work and he put the liquid metal in as a substitute for the plugs...

Unless of course you know different... why diss the blokes sale????

My guns had the anti-tamper screw removed and I couldn't care less. It's my responsibility to ensure I have a legal weapon, not having the screw isn't going to change that. I've a set of bits which will remove that type of screws anyway so having or not having it doesn't make a difference.

Why is it a 'good gun ruined'... there may well have been a perfectly legitamate reason for the AT plugs being taken out by a legitamate gunsmith for some work to be done on the gun. It may have gone to a gunsmith and not AA for the work and he put the liquid metal in as a substitute for the plugs...

Unless of course you know different... why diss the blokes sale????

If you read it properly you will see that I said it was still worth the money being asked for ,(even if it is sold as a 410 single shot?) .I had tried to add some advise to the incompetant idiots on here that think messing with these screws will add a lot more power but it wont .As for a gunsmith doing any repairs on it then he should have a reciept of proof of the works carried out. Ands if I wanted to DISS his sale I would of posted a reply on his post .

Regards Darren

Edited by mtbarrel

To be honest, taking any bits off an airgun , or any other gun for that matter, and either not replacing them or leaving evidence of your ‘work’ such as burrs on screw heads etc will potentially detract from the value of the gun. Not withstanding that the gun may well function perfectly well and have nothing at all wrong with it.

It may well be that the owner is a perfectly good airgun smith in the context that they know what they are doing, they have all the right tools, are used to dealing with either high tensile springs or the complex valve systems on PCP’s and have a decent chronograph to hand to test the airgun afterwards…then again they may not and many an airgun (and car and motorbike, TV., washing machine and so on) have been left in a less than perfect state by enthusiastic amateurs!

Yes it’s the owners responsibility to ensure their airgun is not capable of going over 12 ft lb if it is ‘off ticket’ and to be honest the police are not going round actively targeting responsible airgunners for ‘spot checks’ on power levels.

However, if a PCP has had its adjuster exposed by someone taking the cover cap off, and it’s been seized for some reason, then the Forensic Science test protocol allows them to alter that power setting to test the airgun. If the cap is still in place that cannot take it off to adjust the power.

David

To be honest, taking any bits off an airgun , or any other gun for that matter, and either not replacing them or leaving evidence of your ‘work’ such as burrs on screw heads etc will potentially detract from the value of the gun. Not withstanding that the gun may well function perfectly well and have nothing at all wrong with it.

It may well be that the owner is a perfectly good airgun smith in the context that they know what they are doing, they have all the right tools, are used to dealing with either high tensile springs or the complex valve systems on PCP’s and have a decent chronograph to hand to test the airgun afterwards…then again they may not and many an airgun (and car and motorbike, TV., washing machine and so on) have been left in a less than perfect state by enthusiastic amateurs!

Yes it’s the owners responsibility to ensure their airgun is not capable of going over 12 ft lb if it is ‘off ticket’ and to be honest the police are not going round actively targeting responsible airgunners for ‘spot checks’ on power levels.

However, if a PCP has had its adjuster exposed by someone taking the cover cap off, and it’s been seized for some reason, then the Forensic Science test protocol allows them to alter that power setting to test the airgun. If the cap is still in place that cannot take it off to adjust the power.

David

That's right. The wording is 'capable of exceeding 12 ft/lb'. If you have exposed the anti-tamper screw and the rifle can go over the legal limit even if it isn't set at that when you are checked, it would be regarded as 'capable of exceeding 12 ft/lb'.

This situation does confuse me some what.

Early S410's did not have the AT fitted and there are quite a few airguns that can be externaly adjusted. What if you used a normal screw to replace the AT screw, this would mean the gun could not be adjusted with out the need for tools. My perfectly legal HW95 'could' be capable of going over the limit if I fitted a new spring.

It is difficult to know where the line is drawn.

Edited by 6669miked

This situation does confuse me some what.

Early S410's did not have the AT fitted and there are quite a few airguns that can be externaly adjusted. What if you used a normal screw to replace the AT screw, this would mean the gun could not be adjusted with out the need for tools. My perfectly legal HW95 'could' be capable of going over the limit if I fitted a new spring.

It is difficult to know where the line is drawn.

I think they mean 'easily' capable of exceeding the limit.

Changing main components is a fairly major effort, relative to turning a power adjuster **** (like on the 410 xtra).

:good: