Hey.

Peter2727

Hey I'm new so I thought I'd better start off making a comment here, so yeah I've been using air rifles for years and I've sorted out a decent gun cabinet. Planning on applying for my shotgun licence in the new year, have a few questions if thats ok.

Firstly it's needed to have it bolted or somehow attatched to the wall aye? If so what's the best way to do it, I normally suck with stuff like this but I wanna get it done right.

Also when it comes to ammo I've heard different things, does it need to be locked away in a seperate ammo cabinet? As I bought one incase anyhow so that can be used if needed.

Anyhow that's about it really, look forward to talking to you all.

Hi mate, welcome :welcomeani:

Yes, a cabinet for shotguns needs to be bolted to the wall, but it might be better to wait until you apply for your shotgun certificate and take advice from your police firearms enquiry officer (he will do a home visit as part of the application). He will advise you on the best location for it and might save you having to move it if you bolt it in an unsuitable location before the visit. He will also advise on the type of bolts/fixings to use if you ask. Do a search on here, as there are loads of old threads covering this subject.

No need for a separate cabinet for shotgun cartridges, in fact you're not legally obliged to lock them up at all, though it's sensible to do so. It's different with a section 1 firearm (such as a rifle) on a firearms certificate, as the ammo for these does need to be locked away in a separate cabinet from the gun.

Hi mate, welcome :welcomeani:

Yes, a cabinet for shotguns needs to be bolted to the wall, but it might be better to wait until you apply for your shotgun certificate and take advice from your police firearms enquiry officer (he will do a home visit as part of the application). He will advise you on the best location for it and might save you having to move it if you bolt it in an unsuitable location before the visit. He will also advise on the type of bolts/fixings to use if you ask. Do a search on here, as there are loads of old threads covering this subject.

No need for a separate cabinet for shotgun cartridges, in fact you're not legally obliged to lock them up at all, though it's sensible to do so. It's different with a section 1 firearm (such as a rifle) on a firearms certificate, as the ammo for these does need to be locked away in a separate cabinet from the gun.

Hi there, cheers for the quick reply mate. Aye I thought so about the shells but thought it was worth checking up on just incase, it's my first time applying although I've used shotguns in the past(not my own of course)

Do I need to enclose payment for the licence when first applying also yeah? And other than locking up ammo, when it comes to rifles what differs compared to the shotgun application? As I've considered going for both. But I may start off with the shotgun licence and in a year or two then go for the firearms certificate for rifles, pistols.

Hi there, cheers for the quick reply mate. Aye I thought so about the shells but thought it was worth checking up on just incase, it's my first time applying although I've used shotguns in the past(not my own of course)

Do I need to enclose payment for the licence when first applying also yeah? And other than locking up ammo, when it comes to rifles what differs compared to the shotgun application? As I've considered going for both. But I may start off with the shotgun licence and in a year or two then go for the firearms certificate for rifles, pistols.

:yahoo::welcomeani::yahoo:

Yes to payment

For rifle you will need FAC, which requires two refs. Check on your local police website.

the big difference between shotgun and firearms, with a shotgun, you dont need a reason as such to own one, its a bit like a driving license, you'll just need referee's to voutch for you, with a firearms licence, you need to prove you need one, also need permission to shoot etc

the big difference between shotgun and firearms, with a shotgun, you dont need a reason as such to own one, its a bit like a driving license, you'll just need referee's to voutch for you, with a firearms licence, you need to prove you need one, also need permission to shoot etc

Ah alright, I have a small bit of land(15 acres) So I have the place to shoot anyhow.