Border collie

davecooper1

The border collie is 14yrs old and has been a fantastic family dog.

But the last week she has been sliping over on her back legs a couple times when out with the springer, at first I thought it was because of the frosty weather, but the last couple she has got worse, drinking loads of water and peeing a lot.

So a trip to the vets this morning, after the check over comes the bad news, the old lump in the neck time and a tear in the eye time. She has chronic artheritis in the back legs and will need to take 2 tablets every day, he said she is also diabetic and will need injections every day, he said the dog needed 2 injections to stabalise her body hormones, and said the next 48 hours will be critical, its hard to take when a week ago she used to have a good run round with the spaniel.

I should be on my syndicate shoot tomorrow, but do I go or stay and keep an eye on the collie, I love my shooting but feel my loyalties for once needs to be with the collie, its hard to take in when you have had the dog so long, dont want to be shooting and get th phone call that you dont want to hear.

Has any other PW members had a dog with the same symtons, if so let me know how you coped.

Thanks for reading.

Dave.

No she has not been spayed, the vet has advised it, if she gets over the next 48hrs.

The wife looks to her when Im out, and the both daughters live close by, she seems ok at the moment.

Did the vet take bloods or just test the urine?

If there is someone home to look after the dog then you should be ok going shooting. IMHO