Landcruiser needs tyres

scrob

My dad's 2006 Landcruiser LC5 is ready for new tyres. He normally puts on Bridgestone Duellers and before he replaces them with another set, I thought I would canvas on here to see what other people are using.

He uses the LC for everyday driving on roads, towing trailers, driving on gravel lanes but never really goes majorly off road. He needs a good all round tyre, though with the crazy weather we are having it would be good to find something a bit better in the snow as the Duellers aren't fantastic in my opinion (she spins going up a steep hill and stopping can be difficult as would be expected).

Any ideas? Also someone told me there are different tread patterns for Duellers?

I am a car person so know very little about 4x4s, but thought I'd see what you guys think!

Rob

WGD - it would be nice if there was a tyre that would be slightly better in the snow. In fairness gravel lanes is as far as he gets, maybe the odd time through a barley field but never properly off road into the mucky stuff.

I was reading in the USA they have a Dueller AT Revo with a more aggressive tread which is good in snow ice rain and summer. Seems hard to believe but was getting good reviews on the forum I was reading. Can't see them for sale in the UK though using Google.

Any ideas on something similar to this?

if you want something good in soft snow, you need a mud tyre

if you want something good on ice and hard snow, you need a winter tyre

if you want something goon on tarmac you want a road tyre

if you want something good on the rough stuff you want an AT or MT tyre

Now, the pirelli ATR and Grabber AT and AT2 are Mud and Snow marked - good in snow and mud. Better than a full MT tyre as the tread is not as aggressive so you save fuel, noise and have better handling on the road. The ATR and the Grabber AT are reported to be as good as the old AT2 on poor terrain, but nearly as good as a road tyre on the hard stuff due to them being designed to comply with new road noise regulations. Both will perform fine in the snow, the LC will have plenty of traction aids to help, and coupled with a good driver there should be no issues with driving in snow. Only thing to watch is braking distance as the LC is a heavy lump to stop.

What size are the tyres? Might help us have a look around and see what is about, but really the only options open to you in the bigger size wheels ( I assume it has something like 17 or 18" wheels) are the Pirelli ATR, Grabber AT, Grabber AT2 or the BFG AT. There is also the Cooper Zeon LTZ but I don't know many who have used them!

According to google they should be 17" with 265/65 tyres but I will double check tomorrow morning.

Sorry to sound like a complete noob, but does AT mean all terrain? Are these the tyres which are slightly more aggressive than pure road tyres but still a good compromise for road driving?

We run vredestein wintracs on our lc5, and they are a terrific tyre. Great in snow and ice, quiet on the road and reasonable off it. not quite AT standard i'd say, but close. The only thing is they are a little softer so do wear a little faster. BFG ATs seem to be a particularly hard compound and run for a very long time.

All sound advice. There are just two things that worry me before we change to AT tyres..

Firstly, is there a noticeable decrease in wet weather performance? Here in N. Ireland it rains all the time so ability to disperse water and stop the vehicle in the wet are extremely important.

Secondly, I have read AT tyres kill fuel economy. Has anyone else found this to be the case?

Edited by scrob

The AT2 I have on my Disco3 are better in deep water than road tyres but I have noticed no real difference for wet weather driving compared to the wrangler road tyres on before hand. I lost 2-3 MPG on mine, but the Pirelli ATR and Grabber AT are supposed to be better as they are not as chunky compared to the BFG AT and the Grabber AT2.

They actually look ideal but for some reason I cannot see any reports on them online either here or the Landcruiser Owners Club!

I've had my LC on 225.70.17 Dunlop Grand Trek since I got it 5 years ago. They wear out the front tyre edges quickly at the front as they are a soft compound.

I've all the tracking etc done and still the wear continues.

For me, I'll be going over the AT2's in 265.65.17 when the time comes.

Camskill tyres seem to be the cheapest and I intend to buy in summer-the prices have shot up during the cold spell

atb

fudd