ringed goose

big bad lindz

On an outing that I had on the foreshore way back in September I brought down a graylag which was ringed. :yes:

I asked you guys out there what the protocol was for the identification and traceability of the goose.

(and thanks for the replies) :good:

I sent the information numbers on the leg ring to www.bto.org and I have now received a reply.

Although they (bto) did not disclose the exact location that the bird was ringed they did give me a rough grid reference as to where.

Well it turns out that the bird was ringed on the 27/06/09 as a nestling and just 440 days later it flew a massive distance of 66km to end up on my dinner plate :P

For those of you know northern Scotland it was ringed in the Bettyhill area of Caithness and brought down at Loch Fleet in Sutherland.

And here was me thinking :hmm: that it may have come all the way Greenland or Iceland or northern Scandinavia or at least a bit further than the now frozen northern tundra of Scotland.

I shouldn't complain :rolleyes: I have only been wildfowling for 4 years and I have my first ringed bird I know that there many guys who have been shooting for years and never had one.

Hopefully this weather will clear up a bit in the new year so as we can all get back out again.

Cheers,

BBL

BBL,

There is a large population of resident Greys in Sutherland, the migratory birds from Iceland don't usually start to turn up till mid October, and this seems to be getting later as the years go by.

About 10 years ago my mate shot 5 Greys from a skien with one shot while out on the Dornoch Firth one evening! He had a 10g auto and couldn't believe it, he didn't fire his 2nd or 3rd shot. On closer inspection he found 3 of the birds to be ringed and all their white flanks were sprayed with yellow paint! This was done to make them easily spotted in the field.

When he got the info back it turns out they were ringed on Loch Eye just a few miles away, that very morning!! :lol:

Cheers,

Mark.

BBL,

There is a large population of resident Greys in Sutherland, the migratory birds from Iceland don't usually start to turn up till mid October, and this seems to be getting later as the years go by.

About 10 years ago my mate shot 5 Greys from a skien with one shot while out on the Dornoch Firth one evening! He had a 10g auto and couldn't believe it, he didn't fire his 2nd or 3rd shot. On closer inspection he found 3 of the birds to be ringed and all their white flanks were sprayed with yellow paint! This was done to make them easily spotted in the field.

When he got the info back it turns out they were ringed on Loch Eye just a few miles away, that very morning!! :lol:

Cheers,

Mark.

:lol: A bit of radiation wouldn't go wrong for glow in the dark shooting!