pheasant and partridge

gwb

merry xmas

I have been given a days shoot next week and am reaaly looking forward to it, I mainly shoot clays and havent shot a pheasant in over 25 years

any tips asim not that consistent on driven targets in fact lately i have been rubbish

I shoot with one eye closed and only have a few days to get some practice so any help much appreciated

I am no expert but my tips are to not mount the gun to early but instead follow the line of the bird with the bead with the gun down.

Then as you mount the gun pull through the bird in one smooth swing and fire. You should find that the gun is only mounted for a brief moment before you pull the trigger.

That way it stops you "aiming" at the bird if that makes sense.

It's much easier to demonstrate than describe.

Well everyone has slightly different techniques. Personally, I always shoot with one eye closed,(I wouldn't worry about it :good:). Now, if you take the birds infront it's easier to take a second shot,(if necessary) than leaving it late and having to turn round :lol: Main advice would be NOT to think about it though and just treat it as an oncoming clay,(I realise I have slightly contradicted myself there though!).

Shoot ahead of the bird and just enjoy your day :D

Well everyone has slightly different techniques. Personally, I always shoot with one eye closed,(I wouldn't worry about it :good:). Now, if you take the birds infront it's easier to take a second shot,(if necessary) than leaving it late and having to turn round :lol: Main advice would be NOT to think about it though and just treat it as an oncoming clay,(I realise I have slightly contradicted myself there though!).

Shoot ahead of the bird and just enjoy your day :D

thanks for all the tips

im going to have a practice on clays tomorrow as i will also be using a different gun

just got back from practice and was pretty woeful on the driven in the end had to shoot them as a sort of crosser which involved some footwork as we deliberately didnt call pull and mixed up the targets, i think that i may be lifting my head as well as not following the line?

after much practice i finally started to get a smoother swing and hitting them directly above me, hit the last six targets and decided to quit while ahead

Birds are no different to clays, except they have feathers and are usually bigger, you also have the choice of shots!

There is always an excuse on the Game, my last on a sitter was a classic, the safety was still on!

Don't fret, chill and enjoy, everyone always thinks everyone else will drop everything ...NOT TRUE...and at the end of the day you do this for fun, so enjoy, don't stress and the birds will follow! :good::good:

Edited by Dekers

got back this morning from Norfolk

had a great day although there was very little flushed apart from a drive on a duck pond. Not that I was bothered as just being out was great the weather was good too.

managed to get a real mixture 1 teal 2 mallard 1 pigeon 1 pheasant and a shared pheasant fired 13 in total so I think thats not bad

a big thankyou to all the beaters and pickers up on the day if there are any members on here