Wings for training

weimaraner

I have a pair of pheasant and mallard wings and I read that they can help to train a HPR to point or are they only good for getting them used to feathers in their mouth. I have a 2 year old Weimaraner. She is very good at retrieving and I am trying to get her to point Thanks in advance

I have seen HPRs point wings, but I don't know how likely an older dog would be to point a wing. Has she ever pointed anything?

Maybe more chance with something live, caged pigeon or quail?

I'm sure some of the HPR boys will be able to offer some more constructive advice. Best of luck.

My pup as pointed from a very early age

at all things carrier bags in trees pigeons black birds etc etc I have heard of people trying to initiate a point with a feather on a fishing line (carrot and donkey style) but I would think if hes shown no sign of doing it now he probably wont. ( but iam certainly no expert, and if he was mine i would try and not rule it out)

As for shooting pigeons and taking him in a hide ?

What sort of thing do you use him for now

Is he ok with the gun

will he sit still?

I know i would not take mine out to sit in the hide for the day but he is a bit of a hot head :lol:

Its inate to the breed, sometimes it does need nuturing though i belive some have used the wing meathod quite sucessfully . Your chosen dog BREED has a lot of show / pet breeding done to it though so if the background is not very working type it could be slow on the take up. Sometimes its a case of getting it among a few birds and encouraging and rewarding points, my GWP dont always perform a picture perfect point - often its just a stop and intent look, so become aware of this and remember the best way to stop your HPR pointing is not to encourage it when it happens (the only way they seem to learn what is game and whats just a songbird)

Will they sit in a hide? Sure mine will but its like having a sprinter in the blocks ready for the starting gun :lol: If its an unsucessful flight and i send him off for a chance to do his thing you aint ever seen a dog hunt so hard and he hunts harder than most anyway :good:

Thanks very much much appreciated I will give the wings a try it might aswell try it. I know off a place were there are plenty of pheasants. I have an area close to me with lots of snipe I heard that snipe can frustrate a dog as they don't wait around. Would it be best off sticking with the pheasants

Give up on her? HPR at 2 its time to start :D

It is with most training but pointing per se isn't taught I mean do you get on your hands and knees and lift a paw to show it what to do ;) Its natural behaviour and they do it instinctively from a young age, unless as Kent suggests its on a dog with a lot of the work bred out of it.

However the dog is stalking which says there may be some hope, personally i'd get it out onto some game rich land and walk a few birds up from cover and see what happens.

As for sitting in a hide some will some won't depends what the dog has done so far, mine will and goes to sleep as she isn't interested but she has been out lamping since 12 weeks old sitting on the back seat of the truck so is well used to it. She will now just come out and sleep just liking to be in the truck and out then if you need her to find a fox then she comes to life. But she has grown up having to be patient, hence she will sit on peg as well which is rare with one, that said they are very versatile and though not famous for it mine is turning into a star when out beating. First season out and she will hunt all day without slowing up will drop to point if a bird is sitting tight but one of the line just flushes the bird job done however get a bid flush going she will stand dead still which is absolutely ideal on our ground. So basically don't get too worried about the pointing as for walked up shooting as long as it hunts you will still have a pretty good companion and who knows the pointing may come later

I tried our GSP with a bit of rag tied to a stick with fishing line when she was a young pup.......once they know it'll move out the way sharpish they'll almost certainly point :good: Mine is hopless in the hide, she gets bored real quick and has gone to sleep in the past :rolleyes: She belongs on vast open ground where she can stretch her legs, she's a different animal when she's got space to move.

Thanks for the replies. Did you put pheasant scent on the rag with your dog ziplex?

No, just a bit of rag or anything really....it's a visual thing so scent makes no difference. Let it lay on the ground and when the dog goes for it, whip it up and out of the way, let it land and so on only leaving it on the ground if the dog slows up..in time he/she will soon learn it makes a lot more sense to slow down and 'point' rather than lunge for it. When Bree was a little older she learnt 'steady' was when the rag was about to magically disappear so more or less pointed on command. Got to be quick though :lol: After a while when walking the local fields she would hunt rabbits and go on point either of her own accord or when told 'steady', on a few occasions I got her to within 10ft of young rabbits without them being aware, (she never managed to catch any when released though). Shame really but all that training went to waste as she's never been much of a retriever unless the mood takes her.

post-3597-0-23641500-1294359029.jpg

This is her doing what she enjoys most :good:

No, just a bit of rag or anything really....it's a visual thing so scent makes no difference. Let it lay on the ground and when the dog goes for it, whip it up and out of the way, let it land and so on only leaving it on the ground if the dog slows up..in time he/she will soon learn it makes a lot more sense to slow down and 'point' rather than lunge for it. When Bree was a little older she learnt 'steady' was when the rag was about to magically disappear so more or less pointed on command. Got to be quick though :lol: After a while when walking the local fields she would hunt rabbits and go on point either of her own accord or when told 'steady', on a few occasions I got her to within 10ft of young rabbits without them being aware, (she never managed to catch any when released though). Shame really but all that training went to waste as she's never been much of a retriever unless the mood takes her.

post-3597-0-23641500-1294359029.jpg

This is her doing what she enjoys most :good:

I like the mention of the word "steady" the state of mind mine is in on point any word is taken to be "get in" So i just keep silent and walk in :lol:

not all HPR go into the classic pose of front or rear paw lifted, alot will just freeze wtih all 4 feet on the ground.

if the game is not sitting tight and is moving the dog may well be trying to stay in contact with the game by moving with it. you would need to have some caged game hidden, and work her up to it if she slows and stops once she can take in the scent praise her quietly and let her know you are pleased, hopefully she will do this more often knowing it is behavour you want.

you need to learn to read your dog and know how it behaves around game, and its mannerisms

a wing on a fishing line, can encourage the dog to chase it is normally only used for puppies, and they point more of a cautiousness than anything it is known as sight pointing, not scent pointing which is what you are after.

only put a dog in a hide if you are sure it is 100% ok in confined space with shots,

jan