lurcher

masterblaster

LB will be able to advise you about the actual working of your lurcher, and the ferrets, and rabbit intros. :thumbs: :P

I would suggest that you start to teach your pup to sit, laydown, recall, and heel to lead now. Dont wait until he has built up 6 months of bad habbits to retrain. You can also start him getting use to retrieving by playing fetch in the halway with an old sock. Use the hallway as you can close off any doors and it is a nice straight passage teaching a straight line out and a straight line back. It also eliminates the tendancy for a pup to want to start to play keep away. Tie a knot in the middle of the sock this gives him something to hold and helps to teach a balanced hold.

NTTF

P.S.

Just becareful with the pigeon and rabbit retrieving at the moment as pups have a tendancy to get carried away and break skin....it is a natural behaviour for them...you dont want him getting use to breaking your game open. It may be better if you were to cover a couple of puppy bumpers, one in wings and the other in fur.

As soon as her shots are upto date I would also get her out and socialized to people , places, things, aswell as get her use to all kinds of stock.

The biggest thing to remember is to keep things fun at this age.

NTTF

Edited by new to the flock

Hello Masterblaster, Hope this helps, I have worked terriers for nearly 20 years and this year, I decided to change my habits of a life-time and get a lurcher bitch pup(I have always prefered bitches of most breeds) She is a 3/4 grey, 1/8th Beardie, 1/8th Border collie, I got her at 10 weeks old and she had very little human contact before that :thumbs:

She sat in her little bed for the first two days and only really showed signs of life when I brought one of my terriers through to introduce, She sparked to life then, and did also with the ferrets! But with humans nothing.. I rang the breeder and told him to have her back as I was worried there was something wrong, He told me to be patient with her and things will come round after a week...Well they certainly did and at the end of the week my missus had her sitting, retrieving a toy back to her and giving her a paw...After a week... Now some might say bull-**** but thats how it was. Now she is 6 months old and has caught her first two rabbits on the lamp.. Both sitters as she is too young yet for any serious runs, but caught them both after a short course. I had her out ferretting with me at about 13 weeks old and she is now out with me on every trip. She is still learning and although her retrieving is good, she can be a little distracted from time to time. She pins rabbits in the net and attempts to bring them to hand, Not quite learned this skill properly yet :P , So my advice would be to take her out with you at every chance, let her learn and get used to the sights, smells and sounds of the whole expierence, I am only seeing it from my side and I class myself as an Amatuer with these dogs, But hell I wish I got a lurcher 20 years ago!! Good luck with the pup, Hope she does the job for you,

Rushy. :D

Masterblaster, I echo the above replies, especially NTTF's for obedience training.

The most important thing IMO is to bring the pup on as steady as possible. If it shows promise you can let it do more but all that is a waste of time if you haven't got the basics of obedience carved into the pup. Not much use for a pup that can catch a quarry but leave it after ragging it up.

There is a saying that goes something like 'a year under each leg before the dog is fully capable' but most people that bring good ones on have a good dog at a year.

The most important thing for me as I like the Saluki cross is to bond well with the dog and never, ever lose your rag with it, you will go back on months of training.

Have you heard of moochers? The advise there is unlimited although you will have to sort the wheat out from the chaf.

Good luck.

LB