Taking it further

brooktrout

As a follow-up to Mahmoods post on shot size for pigeon, what about the recommended nine or nine and a half shot for woodcock? The woodcock is undoubtably a most testing shot, but isn,t it admitting defeat to go for small shot/big spread etc when the purists tell us that its the centre of shot patern only that kills effectively and consistently? Or are we saying{by using dust shot} that we are not up to the job? The centre of patern is the same for 9 shot or 3 shot. By the way I am as guilty as anyone else on this score.

I wouldn't dream of using 9s for woodcock, they deserve better. 6s or 7s are fine for most game. If you need to resort to using 9s you shouldn't be shooting live quarry and you and your cartridges are best spending your days at the clay club until you improve.

Years ago I shot pigeons with 8s over decoys using 1/4 and 3/4 choke. Thery killed cleanly out to 25 yards, but after that they fail.

These days I shoot with 6s for 90% of my quarrry shooting and sometimes 5s in 32 gram loads or even 36 gram.