Fox Tails

badsworth

Yesterday I tried to remove the tail from a Fox I'd shot, leaving the bone on the carcass. I cut through the flesh all round and pulled hard with my boot on its backside (just like I'd seen in the videos).

Result - the whole tail came off in my hand!

I had left it about 2 hours after I'd shot him. Was this the source of my mistake? Or am I perhaps just a clumsy ***?

Is there a trick to this?

If I can succeed in getting one off I intend to treat it with Borax as someone on this forum has recommended.

Any help would be appreciated.

B

(The pic will be going onto that part of the forum)

What did you use to aid the Pull?

I cut away at the base of the tail and roll some of the fur back .........Enough so I can get 2 strips of Metal either side ...............They are around a Foot long and 1" wide and with 2 hands i clamp them on to the exposed bone and pull .

In the centre of these strips is a joggle so that when the two are put together they form a rounded section similar to the diameter of the average Fox Tail Bone.

Once removed Using a tundish i insert Crushed Sea Salt into the tail tissue and shake making sure it gets well in ..............Then in a large Coffee jar pour some mineralised meths ............insert the tail making sure it's well covered and seal the cap back on ............Leave for 6 weeks

Only my technique and it works for me :rolleyes:

Ive :thumbs:

Badsworth:

buy or make one of these....they are called a tail stripper, and it is best to do it right after you shoot it.

To make one use a couple pieces of hard wood...maple, hickory, ash and be sure to lap joint them where they meet. Half the thickness on each piece of wood. then drill your holes. This one is ony 4 inches long and works very well.

tailstripper1.jpg

Badsworth;

I have no idea where you would get one over there, however if you PM me your address I will ship one over to you.

NTTF

Very decent of you NTTF .......................The principal is the same as what I use ...........That looks like it requires a 1 handed technique.

Jolly Good .................How do you preserve them?

Ive :lol:

Badsworth;

I have no idea where you would get one over there, however if you PM me your address I will ship one over to you.

NTTF

Very decent of you NTTF .......................The principal is the same as what I use ...........That looks like it requires a 1 handed technique.

Jolly Good .................How do you preserve them?

Ive :lol:

Erv:

To preserve them I split the tail open...best done with a slitting guide.... then I give a quick scrape to remove any fat or sinue....thenuse push pins to lay it flat on a soft piece of board, 1 pin every 3/4 of an inch ...then cover with borax, rubbing it in every day for about a week.

or

Instead of borax you can buy a comercial tanning kit.

NTTF