my project

vampire

Ok so some of you may know that i bought a sight unseen,apart from pics and a verbal description .410 hushpower off here,which turned out to be a bit of a project,so here is how its going;

thur 27th jan 2011,picked up from rfd,no cartridges,bluing thin,revarnished stock,eaten but pad,paint worn off trigger guard,hard to open and close,moderator sprayed,stock split,moderator sounds like a babies rattle due to all the carbon,filthy sticky tape on mod,all this from a gun described as top class good gun.Total paid,£150 for gun,£25 senders rfd,£25 local rfd,total purchase price £200.

Sat 29th,put a box of 14g rio 2 1/2 carts through it,the more you increase the angle of fire the quieter it gets from something like the crack of a .17hmr to little over a whisper.

sun 30th,remove moderator to find empty tube other than green washing scourer and half a cup of carbon,revove sticky camo tape off mod to find its been sprayed.clean and debur action to ease opening and closing.time= 2 hours

mon,31st,strip gun completley,rub down action till like chrome,rub down trigger guard and polish aluminium,file breach screw,strip varnish off stock.time= 4 hours

Wed 2nd feb,sand down stock,first with 60 grit across grain in both directions and then with grain,repeat but with 120 grit.time=1 1/2 hours

Thur 3rd,rub down moderator and i may spray this but not sure on type of finish yet,fine sand stock till it shines,waiting for chequering tools to come.time 1/2 hour

Fri 11th,the casey kit turned up today,so stripped bluing and refinished the action,will buff it and oil on sunday,strip trigger clean out and grease up and reassemble(exactly same as a breda .410).time2 1/2 hours

Sun 13th,buffed and oiled action,looking good :yes:

Mon 14th,primed moderator

tue 15th,sprayed moderator with black silk,still waiting for dembart tools :hmm: ,nearly done :yes: ,time 1/2 hour for all spraying.

Sat 26th,chequering tools arrived today :D 'e j brackley and son'now done both sides and stained with walnut stain from caseys.time 2 1/2 hours

sun 27th,apply tru oil,leave to dry and then wet sand slurry and coat again.time 2 hrs

mon 28th,rub down and apply 3rd coat of tru oil,leave to dry,reassemble gun.time 1 1/2 hrs

TOTAL TIME ABOUT 18 HOURS :oops:

Edited by vampire

Gave mine a simple strip down when i first had it, stripped the stock and sprayed it a matt black just to make it low maintainance. May have a go dipping the stock and mod if i can get the materials.Purchased a camo neoprene cover for the mod and that makes a more comfortable hold.

They are a fantastic bit of kit.I may entertain the 20 o/u version at some stage .

Anyway, best of luck with the project.

• 2 weeks later...

Can you send me some of the white powder you must use to checker a stock in two hours

Regards Sage.

Used to it,would sand wood for example everyday for a week when i was a cabinet maker,ended up with no finger prints and bloody fingers.

Plus i only had to re-do it as it was worn so bad you could only just see it on one side,so i never had to set it up with lay lines etc,still hard work though.

Why white powder,how long does it take you then !

Edited by vampire

post-21389-0-27831400-1298909978.jpg

Just got to leave the woodwork to dry/harden then i can polish it up or give it more coats of tru oil,not sure which to do yet :hmm:

Things i have learnt;

preperation is everything,wet & dry barrells till they shine and woodwork till it is as smooth as silk.

cold bluing works,if you follow instructions.

tru oil is brilliant product and everything anyone has said praising it up,all i can say is its a LOT better than that and then some and then some more.

Anyway,i have a gun i can now use with just a but pad to fit,so squirrals here i come :shoot::yahoo:

Thanks for looking and comments :yes:

Oh,anyone looking for a single barrell baikal .410,i have one for sale :whistling: