Best pigeon decoys for us

Gareth

Hi all,

//EDIT// Title should say 'best' not 'beet' - Stupid iPhone :unsure:

My friend and I have just started to take up decoying pigeons. We had a go under a flightline yesterday, but need more equipment. No camo net and only 3 decoys in a V made for hard work lol. We still caught the interest of a few though, (they came in a bit high and not that close, but in range just) so in a way it was a promising start!

So yeah, on a budget, what decoys would you recommend us to get? Flocked? Shell? FUD? Spring sticks? Bouncers? There's a lot out there, and I don't really know the pros and cons of them all are so thought I'd ask here before spending too much cash.

Thanks for any help,

Gareth

Edited by Gareth

Cheers FalconFN, we have netting, but had no poles so we left it behind. We knew we were up against it, but tried to cover under a tree. Some you could see were coming in and then shot off because they saw us, others as I say actually came into range. It was a good experience all in all. We have poles now and ordered a face veil for each of us as well. Hopefully next time things will be easier, and with more decoys hopefully we can pull more in.

By budget, I meant probably £30, £50 tops for now. If (when) we get more into it I'm sure we will get more gear.

Thanks for helping,

Gareth

Hi all,

My friend and I have just started to take up decoying pigeons. We had a go under a flightline yesterday, but need more equipment. No camo net and only 3 decoys in a V made for hard work lol. We still caught the interest of a few though, (they came in a bit high and not that close, but in range just) so in a way it was a promising start!

So yeah, on a budget, what decoys would you recommend us to get? Flocked? Shell? FUD? Spring sticks? Bouncers? There's a lot out there, and I don't really know the pros and cons of them all are so thought I'd ask here before spending too much cash.

Thanks for any help,

Gareth

10-12 flocked shells on spring sticks,couple of floaters and netting,that will get you started...

Call the site sponsors and tell them your budget, you'll need the higher end of your budget to get yourselves 10 flocked shells and a single bouncer.

You'll get some discount as a PW member and you know the quality of what you buy is good.

That will get you started but keep am eye on the forum as there is always seconds for sale to add to your gear.

• 2 weeks later...

Aaah I wondered where those had gone. I spotted them ages ago and thought they would be ok. Didn't expect to see them in the wildfowling section I guess, I thought they had stopped selling them for some reason. I have just ordered one set of 10 now, wonder how long until they get here :)

Thanks for the advice,

Gareth

Very impressed with the service, I ordered at about 10:30 yesterday and they got here about 10:30 today. They look pretty good :)

Sounds good at times Henry but all we had was a thin hedgerow and a big tree, all without leaves pretty much. We could see them coming in and then fly off like a rocket. They were defo seeing us :(

Looking forward to giving it another go with some of the right gear!

• 4 months later...

I bought 12 shells new, then looked on ebay, and got two different lots for a very cheap price, one of assorted shells and full body, and the other all full body (Some rubber). So now for a total outlay of just over £ 35.00 incl post, I have almost 40 assorted decoys (39 to be precise), so check ebay if you´re on a budget :good: