Shooting over ferrets ?

The Pest Expert

Great sport mate. Stand well back from the warren so that when the rabbit bolts you can get on it straight away, if your ferreting ditches you will need a man on each side. I use no 7's 30 or 32g. If the rabbits are bolting well you will need to be well in front of them; however, I wouldn't give them a lot of lead I tend to swing with the pace of the rabbit. It will take you a while to get used to them but when you do you'll have a ball.

Guest cookoff013

yes its good fun.

first its an idea to work out where the rabbits are going to run, or set yourself up so that there is only on direction to run.

i had 2 shooters with me, first just shoots continually, and the 2nd and 3rd clean up any misses.

the idea here is to shoot bolting rabbits, not shoot through the rabbit holes.

i used 36g #4 and #2. as i was burning off old ammunition at longer distances. that was a good choice.

i prefer the #4 though.

yes its good fun.

first its an idea to work out where the rabbits are going to run, or set yourself up so that there is only on direction to run.

i had 2 shooters with me, first just shoots continually, and the 2nd and 3rd clean up any misses.

the idea here is to shoot bolting rabbits, not shoot through the rabbit holes.

i used 36g #4 and #2. as i was burning off old ammunition at longer distances. that was a good choice.

i prefer the #4 though.

Are you serious mate? Jes that is serious over kill :oops: , ok fair enough if you are shooting the rabbits and dumping them but I like to eat the majority of rabbits I shoot. A number 7 or even 7 1/2 inside 40 yards will consistently kill bolting rabbits. Just to put this in context when I am bolting foxes out of holes I use number 2's.

difficult to give a specified lead with bolting rabbit..all i can tell you, expect them to be low flying!lol! best bet is to watch a few first to give you an idea of where they like to bolt to(general direction) and also see how quick they are going. then just practice until you find the right swing. you could be talking 3 - 4 feet of lead, depending how quick they are going and where you are standing. Dont go aiming at the hole, remember your ferret could pop up if he finds nothing to play with down there!

Could you guys give me a ruff lead to give them if there heading for the hills ? Haha

Thanks

As Jonesbach said it is hard to specify lead as no 2 rabbits will be the same; if the ferret is up there ***** they will be very fast, if not they might amble out of the hole. I know a lot of clay shoots have bolting rabbit clays, possible try these before you go ferreting to get your eye in. As I said earlier, it's more important to keep swinging the gun with the rabbit rather than lead it.

Bolting bunnies is seriously great fun,and we do a LOT of this.

Safety is your number one priority,and if there are enough of us the ferret man doesn't shoot,once the ferrets are down he stands behind the guns.If you're doubling up(on each side of a hedgerow),then shots immediately in front are not on.

Don't stand with your muzzles up in the air,otherwise you'll have to see-saw your gun to get in in your shoulder.Keep your muzzles down and most of your weight on your back foot.When something happens(and it'll be faster than you can imagine!)step forward into the direction of the rabbit as you mount your gun(if you rush this then you'll miss,you need to get that mount RIGHT,so slow down and take your time to get it right)behind the rabbit,swing through,and the instant you 'blot it out' then fire.Speed of swing gives your gun the momentum to carry through.If you miss the first few,don't worry,the important thing is to get that mount consistently right.Don't sacrifice technique for speed,speed comes with practise.

My nephew has been doing this with us since he was 13,he now has a Benelli at the age of 16,but he became so good he could shoot left and rights with a 870 pump!

Once you've got your 'eye' in the adrenalin rush(when you hear that little thump underground)is brilliant.Get out there and enjoy yourself.Let us know how you get on. :good: