tatics for roost shooting

pigeon street

what do you do when roost shoot? do you stand under a likly tree where you can see pigeons have been the night before? or do you stand on the edge of the wood and get them as they fly in? if im standing on the edge of the wood it will be the side the wind is coming from, if im in the wood i'll stand a bit down wind in a more shelterd spot. do you do anything different? if so what?

definitely think you should aim for the side of the wood which downwind if possible. I think it can take a few trips to work out the best spots. I have been twice this month and each time ended up moving when I saw birds flighting in. with a decent wind they are hard to hit and a lot harder than driven pheasants (in season) and cheaper.

• 4 weeks later...

Use a realtree face veil as this is the biggest area of skin colour that the pigeons will see, and stay as still as possible until you're ready to take the shot if you're not in a hide. I do a lot of roost shooting lying on a small incline in a wood and sitting up at the last minute to take the shot. It works for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Find a part of the wood where you can see woody activity and Keep very still!

I roost shoot from midday onwards and see a lot of birds flying in from crops for a rest.

And wear a face veil - no matter how ludicrous you think it is - keep your wits about you, many is the time i've been watching an area for 10 mins only to turn around and find 3 or 4 woodies right behind, and directly above me!

Hearing protection works against you as well as you cannot hear their wings when they come in (unless you have the desireable electronic type which i don't!)

All that said roost shooting is my favourite form of sport as it really tests your fieldcraft and presents some very challenging shots, also be aware of the affect that branches will have on your pattern and always locate and despatch pricked birds.

Oh, and be prepared for a stiff neck and wrap up warm as it can be *****kin freezin in some woods!

ATB

Andy