Are home bluing kits any good. Any experience with one?

rcooke25552

Yes,the caseys bluing kit is very good,i have now done four guns with these kits and all are as good as new with no streaks etc,you must follow the instructions to the letter with the exception of when applying the bluing dont use the swab use a 1" square hard sponge and rub it in hard and wipe runs as you go,you must use the barricade and buff as per instructions and as with any bluing keep it dry and oiled,the finished product is only as good as the prep so dont kid your self it will do when rubbing it down,you need it to look like chrome before you start applying the bluing and will need to do it at least twice for good colour,a bottle will be more than enough for a double barrell.

There may be some,have a lookin my content as i dont know how to link it,there is a sxs baikal,pump action in there and i have a rizzini i did but no pics and have just done a hushpower which is in 'my project'so you can see rubbed down and it will have completed pics soon i hope,its totally blu and no marks.

Ive done 6 or 7 guns with cold water blue....Going back to something said earlier...You dont need to rub down to "chrome" finish...as long as the barrels are smooth and blemish free,they will take the bluing liquid...Neither do you have to rub it in "hard"..its a chemical process,no a physical 1.its only chemical rusting so let the liquid do the work...Rub on,leave a minute,rinse off,dry,buff with 0000grade wire wool..then repeat..and thats it...Take's several applications as stated on the bottles..'Tetra blue' is the best ive found so far...Then birchwood casey...

ITS DEFO WORTH DOING YOURSELF...

I have used the cold bluing 4 part oxy blue system , all the process is water soluble and its easy to use .

This is a Vickers Martini action barrel I have recently done , I rubbed it down and polished it

P1040015_edited.jpg

Then used the cold blue in a bowl and just wiped it on with a J cloth

P1040018_edited.jpg

The finished rifle after stripping and oiling the stock , I took out most of the dents and dings just a couple of deep ones that had to be left otherwise it wouldhave been to much wood to remove . This is the worst rifle I have worked on so far , the barrel had red rust all over .

P1090009_edited.jpg

My partners daughter will be using it in a competition this weekend so hope it goes well .

Dave