Advice on Deer Poaching

Norrie

Hiya, It seems we have a poacher on one of my permissions...a skin,head and legs all in one piece off a Roe Buck was found on approx Wed/Thurs ...all nicely done BTW. havent seen it myself yet, but been told about it by the farm labourer..

I was on the ground, at the exact spot on Tues night, and didnt see a thing....so can only assume it was on Wed/Thur, as was told about it on Friday afternoon.

Any ideas what to do ?,apart from camping out in the car.......in fact, is there anything that can be done????

I dont do that sort of thing, and dont like it being done to me!!!

Bearing in mind, Bucks are still out of season, and we are in Scotland..

Any help, or PM's greatly accepted. :)

Thanks guys.

Report it to the police for a start ( for what little that normally does but they may pick someone up in the early hours with a deer in the back of the truck ). Any action you take be extremely careful,poachers don't like being caught especially those of the ***** variety.

Chain gates and limit unwanted vehicle access where possible, maybe a bit more presents in the form of driving about at night occasionally but no on your own.Tell your neighbours, get them to take any suspicious license plate no's down. In my experience poachers like easy access for a quick in and out, if it starts to become more difficult they may go esle where.My sympathy is with you cos its a right bxxxxxd, deer are hard enough to shoot legally but at night with lamps are like moths but the law tends to protect the poacher from you.

pfft.

First step is to tear some hair out.

Second step is to wait and see. Report it to the police and snoup about with fellow stalkers/land owners and see if you've got a real issue on your hand or some garryboy messing about. I've had to deal with both, the latter being a couple of Muntjac (of all things) being taken over a two month period - I never had anything court worthy but I'm fairly sure it was something arsing about with a single shot .22lr, (off ticket, owned by an old boy) pretty unwelcome but nothing too serious.

The second was a real time gang, that took a total of 15 fallow over two nights, and apparently 30+ over several other neighbouring permissions over that month. It was hectic, and it's when you've got real issues and then it's time to start camping out (.243 in hand).

Hiya,

just seen this,

Norrie I checked it out on Friday when I was waiting for you to come back down to the farm. It was a Doe not a Buck and the remains consisted of a skin, the bottom of two legs and a head which have been there for a month or probably longer as it was absolutly stinking.

Hi Davy, I tried to post this early on this morning via my phone, rubbish signal..so here it is now.....

It's not only that i'm talking about, been talking to a local chap at work yesterday , he was telling me, he got woken up at 1am last Thursday morning by lamps shining over the hill, he initially thought it was a copper chopper, so, got his binos out, he saw it wasnt....and he watched the lamps for a while, not sure how many, certainly more than one tho....then at 3am, there were 3 rifle shots...not as in a semi, but like 3 guns going off almost together...he didnt see any lights after that....and didnt see any vehicles coming down the track...so, to my mind, def poachers... :sly: He's heard this on more than one occasion, but this is the first i've seen him for ages, so he could tell me about it.. :angry:

Guys, thanks for the advice, and the concern.I certainly wont be camping out looking for them...BUT, I think I'll give my FEO a wee email see what he thinks..:)

Edited by Norrie

Hiya,

I had a quick look about on Friday afternoon then a proper look about the whole hill first thing on Saturday morning but never seen any signs of activity other than the bits that had already been found. By the sounds of it they were in the big field to the right of the lane which would suggest they were foxing as the deer are in the big rough field at the wood end and in the bottom far field again near the pine wood.

Hiya,

I had a quick look about on Friday afternoon then a proper look about the whole hill first thing on Saturday morning but never seen any signs of activity other than the bits that had already been found. By the sounds of it they were in the big field to the right of the lane which would suggest they were foxing as the deer are in the big rough field at the wood end and in the bottom far field again near the pine wood.

Davy, According to the guy who works with me, they were in the field between our wood and the forrestry wood down past the dome....he can see right into the bottom field from his house in the estate using binos, thats why he was woken by the lamps shining in his window...if they parked the cars down in the forrestry track at the back of the top field,or up in the old coalworks site and walked in ( which is what I would do if I was going poaching) you'd not see any sign of them, they certainly wouldnt just drive up the hill past the houses, and leave themselves to being blocked in...unless they are idiots...:)

I would be very careful about confronting armed poachers. After all they clearly pay no attention to the law so who's saying what they'll do? :unsure:

If I did I definitely wouldn't take a firearm with me, that's a recipe for disaster. Can't you ring the police and ask them to survey the area? :hmm:

I've just emailed my FEO about it...till it's sorted, I for one wont be near the place,. might not walk back out of it one day..:)

thanks you had me worried mate take care atb

Thanks so much for caring...:)

Actually just had a very nice reply from my FEO, his advice is to let my local police know what's going on, just in case someone has reported it, and I/we get the blame of guns going off early in the morning, as we are the only ones with permission on the ground, and the police know about us, as we both used the land on our applications. Also, to let them know going out, and return times when we are on the land, then if anyone does report the shots, they will have an idea if it's us or not....:)

I think thats very good advice actually, as I must admit to not bothering to call them when i'm out at that particular farm at night..:)