BSA Lightning XL

Pot shot XL

Just a quick question, just bought myself a new BSA Lightning XL.22/Scope combo (Hawke 3_9x40 Mil Dot. HD) and I am wondering what the best pellets to use, it will be mainly for ratting and pigeon and it's it's not an FAC.

I haven't really put enough through it yet to notice a difference but I am using Crossman Accupell's.

Are there better pellets on the market?

Is this gun that fussy? A

ll answers are welcome as I'm pretty new to the Air gunner scene having always been a Shot gun man (or an SA80 in my younger days).

XL ;)

Hi

The best thing I did with my new Lightning XL was to run a tin of pellets through it and then ran a load of pellet tests using a pellet pack from Pellpax.

This showed me that the best pellet for mine was Daystate FT 4.52, obviously my XL is in 177.

I would recomend that you do the same. The initial tin of pellets both 'runs' the gun in, and gets you used to the rifle, admittedly this is my first rifle. The testing really reveals which pellet is best. At a 15m range I had groupings ranging from about a 60mm diameter right down to 8mm!

Get yourself a pack and happy testing!

Karl

I used to use logun penertrators and they were really good in my bsa lightning, but didnt think they killed as good as the normell pellet.

Seems to over do what they say on the tin, penertrate too much.

I now use daystate ft through my lightning with success as they hit with more force and as there really soft they squash on impact. ;)

• 1 month later...

I have just bought a tin of BSA's own interceptor in .22 for my XL.They are awfull,I was expecting them to be top notch as they are marketed by the same manafacturer. They are a tight fit.If you don't shove them right in they deform when you close the breech.As for the grouping at 30 yds I was getting about 4'' groups.I can easily get 3/4'' -1/2''groups with crossman vermin pells.

Oh well you have to try these things to find out.I read in Gunmart last month that H&N Ftt grouped and provided the most consistant power in an XL I think I might try them.

The results they found for various pellets are as follows.

Crossman Premiers 594.8 fps 11.2 ft/lbs .5'' @30 yds

H&N FTT 585 fps 11.83 ft/lbs .45''

Pest Controls 498.9 fps 10.05 ft/lbs .85''

Lazapells 565.4fps 10.3 ft/lbs .75

Bisley Magnums 449.0 fps 9.58 ft/lbs .65''

Air Arms Field 566.8 fps 11.59 ft/lbs .5''

Hope this helps you fellow XL owners