condition of your lurchers

I know there a few running dog owners on here do you think you should be able to see the spine and ribcage of the dogs.

For me I have always tried to insure there is a slight covering so you could feel the ribs spine ETC.

If my dogs shows signs of this I normally know I have been overworking them and lay off for a week or so to help them get back in condition.

Looking forward to your thoughts.

Cheers Cookie

I can see where you are coming from cookie,but sometimes a dogs posture can make it look worse than it is,but i do agree with albertan.But some dogs never seem able to carry weight or look conditioned.I have a lurcher and at times she looks like a bag of bones and its not due to being over worked in fact she hasnt worked properley since she broke a couple of nails in sept/oct.I Gave her 2 months of light lead walking,then built up to a couple of short sprints and now she is 2kg lighter than when she was working.It isnt down to food either,mine get the best of grub but at times she will self starve for a couple of days,even turning her nose up at rabbit,chicken,breast of lamb.

I have just posted on the other topic aswell, I think that each dog has a different optimum weight, for some this will be with a covering of fat and others will be very lean. Also as p-a-s said the posture the dog is in makes a big difference to the look of them in photos and if the photo is taken after they have been running hard and they are breathing heavy changes the look.

My bitch runs a lot harder when she is on the lean side, when her weight is a bit up she just will not run properly, I also agree that they should be rested when there condition dips, but the only person who can judge the dogs condition properly is the owner as they know there individual dogs.

ATB :good:

For me its not about whats makes the dog run faster its about what looks right and how the dog is looked after generally.

Strange how the oringnal OP has posted that running dogs get a bad press in the world for me them pictures do little to improve the image of running dog men for me it depicts that having the fastest running dog and any cost outweighs the well being of the dog.

PS I own running dogs .

Cheers Cookie

Edited by Cookiemonsterandmerlin.

For a dog to run at its peak it can't be lacking in any department, it has to be at the peak of physical fitness and cannot be lacking in any vitamins/nutrients, therefor it is in the best of well being and will be receiving the best care possible to reach its full potential, so to have the 'fastest dog' as it was put you have to have the best looked after dog.

In my personal experience anyone who has criticised the condition of my dogs has had no experience of lurchers themselves, although i myself have seen dogs in poor condition, but this is the exception rather than the rule as most working dog owners treat/keep there companions in good condition.

YIS Sub Nova.

For a dog to run at its peak it can't be lacking in any department, it has to be at the peak of physical fitness and cannot be lacking in any vitamins/nutrients, therefor it is in the best of well being and will be receiving the best care possible to reach its full potential, so to have the 'fastest dog' as it was put you have to have the best looked after dog.

In my personal experience anyone who has criticised the condition of my dogs has had no experience of lurchers themselves, although i myself have seen dogs in poor condition, but this is the exception rather than the rule as most working dog owners treat/keep there companions in good condition.

YIS Sub Nova.

For me this what your running dog should look like

Cheers Cookie

Ferrettingnewyearsday2011006.jpg

my dog is always in top condition,if he does start to look a little on the lean side,i know that he needs worming,three days after hes wormed hes back to condition again,i also think it has a lot to do with the dogs make up,if the dog has a lot of saluki in it,it may look on the lean side all of the time,whereas a dog with a lot of collie in its make up,may look heavier than its saluki counterpart IMO, ;)

DAZ

Magwitch if we going to compare pictures of dogs then here we go .

Which dog would I be proud to say I own and which one would I bet on in a race or lamp with.

Nine rabbits taken with one dog on hard to catch mid winter conies

Lamping22stnovember2010.jpg

Or which looks like it need a rest and some condition

newlens0012.jpg

Cheers Cookie

Edited by Cookiemonsterandmerlin.

Nine rabbits!........................there are forty three rabbits here and my dog caught nearly two thirds of them, he works like a springer and does a full days work. This is the end of the season and he as been out every weekend giving 110% so I wouldn't expect him to be like a tub of lard..........

PictureFerretingSheppeyJan24th017.jpg

Magwitch I have struck a nerve it the end season yes you catch and work the land like I do and know a thing or two about the countryside .

I two catch rabbits heres 69 caught with ferts and longnets plus dogs .

Ferretting4thdecember2010.jpg

I know you what to promote the image of running dogs and owners which is great and I am all for that but anybody viewing that picture with no know knowledge of running dogs would be horrfied FACT.

Magwitch I have struck a nerve it the end season yes you catch and work the land like I do and know a thing or two about the countryside .

I two catch rabbits heres 69 caught with ferts and longnets plus dogs .

Ferretting4thdecember2010.jpg

I know you what to promote the image of running dogs and owners which is great and I am all for that but anybody viewing that picture with no know knowledge of running dogs would be horrfied FACT.

Well if you think a running dog should look like a fat labrador I am wasting my time.............................your much wiser than me I concede.

For me its not about whats makes the dog run faster its about what looks right and how the dog is looked after generally.

Strange how the oringnal OP has posted that running dogs get a bad press in the world for me them pictures do little to improve the image of running dog men for me it depicts that having the fastest running dog and any cost outweighs the well being of the dog.

PS I own running dogs .

Cheers Cookie

As the rabbiting partner of Magwitch, and the owner of Smokey the blue dog pictured with Ted ,his whippet cross, I take exception to your comments,, may I say Ted is in top notch running condition, ready, willing, and more than able to bush and flush cover , bolting and hoovering up rabbits all day long. He is a perpetual dynamo ,never stopping,scenting up bunnies and catching a good 80% of those he bolts .His catch rate is the best I have seen and his prey drive is fantastic. He is cared for with dedication, and fed very good quality mince and meal, this is reflected in his performance in the field

I have judged lurchers at many shows over the years including the England Championship three times and run my hands over hundreds of dogs,so I hope I have some knowledge of a dogs optimum condition. The picture you put up of your red dog ,shows a dog that has no particular claims to good conformation at all,it appears a cloddy type of collie cross,of course photos can be deceiving,but I assume you have picked one that you consider, shows your dog off to his advantage,he appears short coupled , short and thick necked [a common fault with lurchers that have thrown to the collie side]. He also appears ,[from what is visible of it ,]to have what we call an over furnished tail.

Too much substance for the length of his leg gives him a mongrelish appearance .And he is too short in the back.

I am sure you think the world of him ,but if you throw stones, expect to get them thrown back

In soft condition, with no condition lines visible on the flanks or quarters, and not a trace of a rib showing ,in short he is not in what I consider top running condition.

He may give a decent account of himself on a few ferreted bunnies short runs , with usually a rest in between, but I very much doubt he would be up to a full days work with our dogs

" I own running dogs" you say ,well I do too, and have done for 42 years,I have worked them in 8 counties of this country and coursed with some success, with 4 top clubs for many years when it was legal , so I hope I may be allowed my views.

In short, I don't think you know what you are talking about really.CRUZ

As the rabbiting partner of Magwitch, and the owner of Smokey the blue dog pictured with Ted ,his whippet cross, I take exception to your comments,, may I say Ted is in top notch running condition, ready, willing, and more than able to bush and flush cover , bolting and hoovering up rabbits all day long. He is a perpetual dynamo ,never stopping,scenting up bunnies and catching a good 80% of those he bolts .His catch rate is the best I have seen and his prey drive is fantastic. He is cared for with dedication, and fed very good quality mince and meal, this is reflected in his performance in the field

I have judged lurchers at many shows over the years including the England Championship three times and run my hands over hundreds of dogs,so I hope I have some knowledge of a dogs optimum condition. The picture you put up of your red dog ,shows a dog that has no particular claims to good conformation at all,it appears a cloddy type of collie cross,of course photos can be deceiving,but I assume you have picked one that you consider, shows your dog off to his advantage,he appears short coupled , short and thick necked [a common fault with lurchers that have thrown to the collie side]. He also appears ,[from what is visible of it ,]to have what we call an over furnished tail.

Too much substance for the length of his leg gives him a mongrelish appearance .And he is too short in the back.

I am sure you think the world of him ,but if you throw stones, expect to get them thrown back

In soft condition, with no condition lines visible on the flanks or quarters, and not a trace of a rib showing ,in short he is not in what I consider top running condition.

He may give a decent account of himself on a few ferreted bunnies short runs , with usually a rest in between, but I very much doubt he would be up to a full days work with our dogs

" I own running dogs" you say ,well I do too, and have done for 42 years,I have worked them in 8 counties of this country and coursed with some success, with 4 top clubs for many years when it was legal , so I hope I may be allowed my views.

In short, I don't think you know what you are talking about really.CRUZ

Cruz I respect your knowledge and views which is great and I have no problem with them.

Nor should you mine and I dont mean to disrespect you or your dogs and nor should mine as mine is a slightly diffrent design to yours your pure running dog .

I would post more picture of our bedlington wippet but pointless with a very rough coat to show his condition to you.

I start this topic seprate to the sporting pictures to try and avoid comparing my dogs to others.

I have diffrent views on dogs and thats that like I would never run two high speed missle on the same rabbit EG what happen when the two high speed missle clash with a impact speed of nearly 60MPH and nor let them fight over it like others do .

I also take exception to your comment that I dont know what I on about with clearly my catch rate which doesnt happen overnight I like you have some knowledge on this subject.

I on the other hand think you know what your on about and respect your reply.

Thank you for reply and take care Cookie

Cruz I respect your knowledge and views which is great and I have no problem with them.

Nor should you mine and I dont mean to disrespect you or your dogs and nor should mine as mine is a slightly diffrent design to yours your pure running dog .

I would post more picture of our bedlington wippet but pointless with a very rough coat to show his condition to you.

I start this topic seprate to the sporting pictures to try and avoid comparing my dogs to others.

I have diffrent views on dogs and thats that like I would never run two high speed missle on the same rabbit EG what happen when the two high speed missle clash with a impact speed of nearly 60MPH and nor let them fight over it like others do .

I also take exception to your comment that I dont know what I on about with clearly my catch rate which doesnt happen overnight I like you have some knowledge on this subject.

I on the other hand think you know what your on about and respect your reply.

Thank you for reply and take care Cookie

I have to view your confident assurance that you have "some knowledge of the subject" with scepticism ,because neither of the dogs Magwitch pictured are" pure running dog" as you call it.

Ted is a quarter bedlington, Smokey is a quarter bedlington,a quarter collie a half whippet.

In other words both are lurchers ,one with terrier blood infused into the sight hound the other with both terrier and pastoral,[ collie,] blood.

The fact that you failed to spot this ,makes me dubious about your claims of expertise.

The only time I would not run two dogs on quarry from choice, would be if coursing was still legal ,and if I were a lamping .

The picture you paint of horrifc collisions when two dogs are on one quarry is simply a very rare occurence otherwise all the doubled handed greyhound courses of the past ,[and those still occurring in other countries,] would end in disaster.

This again makes me wonder just how much actual work with dogs you do?

Neither do our dogs fight over their catch, in fact they retrieve together as, I believe, past pictures posted by Magwitch will verify.

I don't wish to disparage your catch rate , after all you can only catch what is there, but 8 rabbits is nothing to shout from the roof tops ,and the only reason we are not taking big numbers on the farm featured in the pictures is ,because the dogs have caught a large proportion of them . Your comments bring to my mind an old adage," a little learning is a dangerous thing"

The next time you want to state that Magwitch or myself are inadvertently painting Lurcher work in a negative light by posting pictures of under weight dogs I suggest you stop and think about it first.

from where I am sitting you are "The Biter Bit",and on the ****.

Edited by cruz

I have to view your confident assurance that you have "some knowledge of the subject" with scepticism ,because neither of the dogs Magwitch pictured are" pure running dog" as you call it.

Ted is a quarter bedlington, Smokey is a quarter bedlington,a quarter collie a half whippet.

In other words both are lurchers ,one with terrier blood infused into the sight hound the other with both terrier and pastoral,[ collie,] blood.

The fact that you failed to spot this ,makes me dubious about your claims of expertise.

The only time I would not run two dogs on quarry from choice, would be if coursing was still legal ,and if I were a lamping .

The picture you paint of horrifc collisions when two dogs are on one quarry is simply a very rare occurence otherwise all the doubled handed greyhound courses of the past ,[and those still occurring in other countries,] would end in disaster.

This again makes me wonder just how much actual work with dogs you do?

Neither do our dogs fight over their catch, in fact they retrieve together as, I believe, past pictures posted by Magwitch will verify.

I don't wish to disparage your catch rate , after all you can only catch what is there, but 8 rabbits is nothing to shout from the roof tops ,and the only reason we are not taking big numbers on the farm featured in the pictures is ,because the dogs have caught a large proportion of them . Your comments bring to my mind an old adage," a little learning is a dangerous thing"

The next time you want to state that Magwitch or myself are inadvertently painting Lurcher work in a negative light by posting pictures of under weight dogs I suggest you stop and think about it first.

from where I am sitting you are "The Biter Bit",and on the ****.

i think what OTH(cookie) meant by that statement was that the dog's do exactly what they were bred for and were not pets that see a bit of action and meant nothing to breeding :good:

however i could be wrong and personally i think your dogs look grand ;)

i think what OTH(cookie) meant by that statement was that the dog's do exactly what they were bred for and were not pets that see a bit of action and meant nothing to breeding :good:

however i could be wrong and personally i think your dogs look grand ;)

Thanks for your comments.

Work commitments mean Magwitch has only weekends to get out and about, I am usually out every day with the juks.

Cruz

I have perfomed over tha last two months rabbit clearance for a estate where I get paid for my work I have posted only a fraction of my days out but if you spin though my sporting pictures you will see I have posted about my bags ETC.

Right I have only two working dogs for rabbit catching the long legged terrier is my fert dog I have worked him 5 days a week for over two months and your thoughts about him are correct his main task is to catch the rabbits within a short distance lighting take off .

Part of my self employment this year has entailed 3 paid contracts for rabbit clearance .

Our bedlington whippet is our and I say our as me and wife are both keen she working him on the lamp and is out 3 nights week as he is now 13 bar the hard spell in december when it was too hard for safe running.

And once again trying to smooth you over has failed and despite my best polite effort you still think I am clueless on rabbit control.

And pegleg you where correct in your view on my reply .

Once I bid you all the best Cookie