Im Cream Crackered this morning

TaxiDriver

For a few weeks now whilst waiting for my SGC to be processed I've been going along on a sunday morning to spectate at a local clay shoot just to see what goes on, everyones been very welcoming and one or two people have let me the odd shot or two - Brilliant buzz :good: Thanks chaps !!

This weekend, one chap in particular brought along enough cartridges for me to have a go at doing a full round and a shotgun to use.

All started well after a bit of a safety talk we made our way to stand #1 (it might not have been #1 but was where we started) Well suffice to say I think the local woodies are gonna be safe from me fer a while yet, unless they choose to embark on a suicide mission.

By about half way round I was struggling to lift the 12g O/U to my shoulder but I persevered and even hit a few odd ones :good: We finally finished up I'd scored a paltry 13 out of 80 :blink:

Once everyone in the group had finished a few drifted off towards the tea bar whilst my mentor for the day took me back to the car to collect the 20g that I was to try out with a view to purchasing for my wife and son to use, we went back to the practice stand and both my wife and my son had a good try with some instruction and supervision from our mentor and we went through another 50 cartridges easily.

This morning, both myself and my wife whilst not bruised are knackered, my arms feel like sore dead weights, and both of us have shoulder/back ache, so is this usual, does it get easier ?

welcome to the shotgun world taxi :lol::good: the more and more you use a gun the easier it will get as you will get used to it. i was the same when i first started out. just remeber to keep the gun tight to your shoulder. you will be aching off the recoil if you are not used to it. especially if you had 130 shots throughout the day. its all part of the fun. :yes:

and well done with the clays it isnt a mega score but at least you managed to hit some. :good:

practice makes perfect :good:

Edited by semiautolee

Good fun huh....lol

You may be a bit sore because the gun didnt fit you properly.....

when i first started it was exactly the same... (Baikal) stock was too short and the comb was too low...i came home battered and bruised....

After tinkering quite a bit i got it to fit and could shoot it all day long with no ill effects....

Ive kept the same measurements to every gun ive had since within reason...

shaun

Ohh don't get me wrong, all three of us came home with big grins on our faces :D

I'd only previously had a few odd shots, and my wife and son had never fired a shot before.

My son had a shot with the 12g with our mentor supporting him, and just whent WOWWWWWWWWW :D :D but funnily enough didn't want a second shot.

Later on with the 20g, again with our mentors guidance and a bit of support he was happy to loose off a few and had a couple of hits which made his day, my wife had a few shots off with the 20g and hit a few but we'll gloss over that :lol:

So, COME ON Mr FEO where are you !!

Glad you enjoyed it. I find it's a bit of a marmite sport...You'll really love it or you'll do it once and walk away unimpressed.

As for the tired muscles, you'll probably find you were gripping the gun too tightly and tensing up for the recoil. You'll very quickly relax after a couple of visits when your brain accepts the gun isn't going to leap out of your hands or knock you off your feet. :lol:

Have fun :yes:

While your mentor is doing a great job of encouraging you into this great family sport, no way is 80 sporting the right way to start! Get a lesson with a proper coach 50 max! You should break 30+ on a novice stand and not be so tired! Check out the BASC and APSI lists of coaches 2-3 50 bird lessons will set you up with a good start particularly for wife and son who may not be as keen to soldier on through the pain!

While your mentor is doing a great job of encouraging you into this great family sport, no way is 80 sporting the right way to start! Get a lesson with a proper coach 50 max! You should break 30+ on a novice stand and not be so tired! Check out the BASC and APSI lists of coaches 2-3 50 bird lessons will set you up with a good start particularly for wife and son who may not be as keen to soldier on through the pain!

I feel compelled to respond if only in defence of my mentor,

It was my choice to do the full round of 80, I asked to do it after having gone along and spectated for the past couple of months and having just the ocassional shot or two thanks to the kindness of the group of folk I've been shadowing.

Neither my wife or son were encouraged or pushed into doing anymore than they wanted to do or were happy to do.

A large part of the tiredness on my part is in no small part due to my general lack of fitness and exercise generally, I was exactly the same the other week after walking round my new permission for 2 - 3 hours carrying just my air rifle and doing a bit of plinking, so hopefully as others have said, i'll get more used to it with practice. :D

Glad you and your family have enjoyed the experience, which I hope will be the first of many.

Do not worry about the score, 13 is better than 12 and next time out 14 will be better than 13.

It all takes time and practise, but with a good bunch of people around you, which it seems you have, you will be there very soon.

Terry