Anybody Kept Chickens?

lspencer

I have about 20 chickens in total, if i was going to have just 3 i would go for an older breed. Something like Light Sussex or Orpintons. I find them nicer to look at than the hybids and you are also doing your bit to keep these old breeds going. Both of the above are good layers as well, not as good as a hybrid but you should get close to an egg a day per hen.

Reading this excellent thread has really got me thinking of doing it. We've recently moved out of town and have a larger garden. I have a little boy who would love it too.. Hmmm, wonder what the current Mrs Thunderbird will say....? :hmm:

+1 except for the mrs thunderbird bit...don't really care what she says about me keeping chickens...Mrs Gixer is an different matter though! :lol:

My neighbour has just got some chickens in her garden. We live in a town in a terrace of houses. Her kids seem to be very enthusiastic about the whole thing and are very interested at the moment, not sure if this will last though.

Only issue i have is the incessant squawking/crowing that seems to be required every morning... It's no worse than the relentless yapping that comes from the other next doors stupid yappy house dog/rat thing.